Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using RTL features with Dhivehi Language in Illustrator CC 2019

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I understand that officially there isn’t even basic support for Thaana script of the Dhivehi Language (spoken in the Maldives) in Adobe CC. However, RTL features meant for other languages have enabled local designers to manage Thaana text in Adobe applications, albeit with difficulty. Unfortunately, I have not been able to pull this off in Adobe Illustrator CC 2019.

Here is how the local name of the Maldives should appear in Thaana script, with vowels running above and below the base characters:

01.png

Here is how it appears in a text box in Illustrator CC 2019, with Adobe Composer:

02.png

When I switch to Middle Eastern & South Asian Composer, the vowels align with the right base characters. However, the base characters themselves are still running from left to right:

03.png

Interestingly, when I insert an Arabic character into the paragraph, the entire paragraph including the Thaana script changes to RTL:

04.png

This is a very crude hack and the Arabic character needs to be in every paragraph. Is there a better way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Thanks for clarifying the matter further for me. As far as having either English or ME version, you know that you can have both versions on your machine at the same time as long as one of them is older such as Illustrator CC 2017 ME, and latest Illustrator CC 2019 English.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Middle Eastern version where the Character Panel shows more RTL options as below?

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.33.44 PM.png

I don't speak or understand Dhivehi, however I may be able to assist you if you explain the process further and if you share the font you're using for testing.

Note: I've been to Maldives and have seen the how close the script and its diacritics to Arabic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Thaana and Arabic scripts have much in common. Thaana consonants are partly derived from the Arabic numerals and the vowel diacritics are even closer to those of the Arabic script.

Here is my character panel:

char_panel.png

The font I used is called Faruma, available from https://dhivehi.mv/fonts/data/df/Faruma.otf

Additional info

I'm currently on Windows 7 Professional. However, I experienced the same issue on macOS 10.14.3 as well.

I did switch my Adobe CC App Language to (English - يدعم العربية) and reinstall Illustrator CC 2019. It did not solve the problem so I am currently back to English (North America) as I am able to use Indic Options for text no matter the App Language.

Thaana works fine in InDesign CC 2019. This issue arises in Illustrator CC 2019 and Photoshop CC 2019. I have not tested other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying the matter further for me. As far as having either English or ME version, you know that you can have both versions on your machine at the same time as long as one of them is older such as Illustrator CC 2017 ME, and latest Illustrator CC 2019 English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I now have Illustrator CC 2019 English and 2018 ME installed simultaneously and Thaana is working fine on the latter. For whatever reason, my previous attempt at switching to 2019 ME did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe ilustrator and photooshop CC 2020 . Thaana still does not type correctly unless an arabic letter is inserted. so does that mean I would have to install CC 2019 Middle East version to make it work? Photoshop and illustrator both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For now I am just masking off the Arabic Letter in each Line. hehe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still not working for me. i am using PS version 20.0.6. you got any solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines