Highlighted

Using the Line Tool - multiple lines

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have just started using Illustrator for the first time. It's the latest version, updated and all preferences have been reset to default.

I am trying to create a simple shape by drawing several lines using the line segment tool. When I drew the first line I was hoping to be able to simply click the mouse again to start a new line at the anchor point of the first line and then repeat this several times to create a shape. But when I hold down the mouse to create a second line the first line rotates rather than creating a new second line segment.  Do I need to create all the line segments for the shapes individually or is there a way to quickly draw multiple lines the are joined together? Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

But if you want multiple lines joint together, just click with the Pen tool.

Topics

Feature request, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Using the Line Tool - multiple lines

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have just started using Illustrator for the first time. It's the latest version, updated and all preferences have been reset to default.

I am trying to create a simple shape by drawing several lines using the line segment tool. When I drew the first line I was hoping to be able to simply click the mouse again to start a new line at the anchor point of the first line and then repeat this several times to create a shape. But when I hold down the mouse to create a second line the first line rotates rather than creating a new second line segment.  Do I need to create all the line segments for the shapes individually or is there a way to quickly draw multiple lines the are joined together? Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Topics

Feature request, New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Hide Bounding Box should fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the quick response

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Martin, 

Glad to hear you found the solution. In addition to response given by Ton, please check out help articles below:

1. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/transforming-objects.html#transform_using_the_bounding_...

2. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/drawing-pen-curvature-or-pencil.html#drawing_with_the_p...

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines