Variable font file issues saving.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- with .ai 2018 whenever i save a file now it takes FOREVER. it gives me this message. " converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font converted to outlines" . I am just using the same fonts i always use and they are actually not converted to outlines after saving. Each save bring up the beach ball and message with a slow progress bar for a while. Please help, this is really slowing me down. thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Variable font file issues saving.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- with .ai 2018 whenever i save a file now it takes FOREVER. it gives me this message. " converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font converted to outlines" . I am just using the same fonts i always use and they are actually not converted to outlines after saving. Each save bring up the beach ball and message with a slow progress bar for a while. Please help, this is really slowing me down. thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 12, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're saving an AI file?

Which options?

Where do you save? Does that also happen when you save onthe desktop?

Is the document built in a way that has transparent obects on top of text?

Which fonts did you use?

Does that also happen with a simple file that has nothing else than one text object in it?

Which system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need to have a look at the file.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with every file I create or open. Mac latest operating system. Adobe CC latest version. I’m NOT using variable fonts. Does not matter what font I use every save does this now with new CC version. I have restarted everything.  It is not one specific file it is with every file I open work on and then save. It happens with new files. it only happens with CC 2018 subscription Version.

am using latest version of Extensis Suitcase for font management. Is there a way to eliminate the new variable fonts? They don’t show up in Suitcase to manage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2018 0
Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off Suitcase?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2018 0
Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are not just in the system. Programs have special places that they install. I use "FontExplorer X Pro" for font management. Library / Font, system etc. it can manage all active fonts in spots. He can clear the cache.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 14, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue on CC 2018, up till recently this just made saving very slow but now whenever I try to save a file it takes a good 10-15mins before giving me a "A file I/O error occurred" on rare occasions the save is actually successful. As far as I'm aware I'm not using any custom font managers or plugins.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.05.23.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.08.10.png

I'm using an iMac, macOS: 10.12.6

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2018 0
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a lower version of Illustrator?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Yes, the screenshot is from saving as a CS6 filetype, but the save time taken is the same as for the default CC and I still get the I/O error. Is the variable fonts message particular to saving as older versions? I hadn't used that feature before I started getting the slow save and error message... I assumed it was related, but then I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2018 0
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable fonts are not compatible with CC2017 or even older. So the fonts will be outlined and since your file looks quite complicated, that outlining might take a while. And maybe Illustrator even faces issues outlining at all because of memory problems or whatever.

When you do a save as to the current version, do you save with "PDF compatibility"? Do you need it? If not, try and turn it off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 07, 2018 1
Resources