• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable font file issues saving.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- with .ai 2018 whenever i save a file now it takes FOREVER. it gives me this message. " converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font converted to outlines" . I am just using the same fonts i always use and they are actually not converted to outlines after saving. Each save bring up the beach ball and message with a slow progress bar for a while. Please help, this is really slowing me down. thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Hello everyone,

I am writing to provide an update on the issue that you all have been experiencing with the "converting text objects with variable fonts and color" message error when saving files in Illustrator.

We highly recommend updating to the latest version of Illustrator (v27.3.1), as we have released this update in an effort to resolve the issue. If you continue to experience this error message after updating, please reach out to me directly so that we can help you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're saving an AI file?

Which options?

Where do you save? Does that also happen when you save onthe desktop?

Is the document built in a way that has transparent obects on top of text?

Which fonts did you use?

Does that also happen with a simple file that has nothing else than one text object in it?

Which system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are there so many questions that have to be asked for a program to operate? Why did this start to happen? Did they forget to include this change in the release notes? Illustrator is only getting worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are posting in a 4 year old thread. This was at the time when variable and color fonts have been introduced and everyone was trying to understand the issues people were facing.

Personally I have never seen this error mesage when saving anything. So when someone reports this all I can do is ask. Do you just want to post some snarky remarks or do you have a problem? If so I would suggest you create a new thread and describe your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I will. It may be a 4 year old thread but it's an ongoing issue - which is why I ended up here. It's not like I just puruse Illustrator boards to make random complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's become a massive issue for me this week August 16, 2022 and had never occurred until now. It is costing me hundreds of dollars in lost time and beyond infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paulas40545316 @Irishspacemonk,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience we want you to have. Would you mind confirming the exact version of OS & Illustrator and the font's name? Also, is this happening in some specific files or with specific fonts? If yes, would you mind sharing the files or font with us? We'll check at our end.

We try to improve & fix as many bugs as possible with every release.

We are here to help. We need more information. Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to respond to this as a follow up that might help people. There's definitely an issue with PNG files and Adobe trying to potentially read that text. This is a bug that should have been fixed before release. It's repeatable and it's a hassle. Remove the PNG files and it seems to fix at least this issue with Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this with Jpegs and other file types (both PC and Mac) local and server saving. It then saves very slowly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just PNG's. I rarely use them.

I use PDFs, PSD's & TIFFs.

In my ecample screenshot attached, I have ONE flattened psd file placed and the error still comes up and I sit here for a few minutes while my clients wait..... So annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot of the error mentioned above 

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 1.41.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have the same issue. When I save certain files it gives this message 'illustrator converting text objects with variable fonts and color' and saving takes long. However, I'm not using any text at all. The files where this happens usually contain rather complex blend objects.

I've done some testing. When I make a blend with radial gradients that are not centred and rather complex, this dialog box starts showing up when saving. Have a look at the attachment. All goes well until the last blend at the bottom: complex gradient and a lot of blend steps. This is when the dialog box starts showing up and saving takes longer.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Chris

(I'm using illustrator 26.4.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree that complex gradient object files *placed* into the document were the culprit in my case. Rasterized that object and saving returned to normal. I did not test whether copy/pasting the actual objects would fix or continue the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. This is a massive problem. Every file I save it does this! Hell, even when there's literally NO TEXT in the file. Adobe just keeps making stuff worse, every time there's a decent new feature, there's 3 that have been fuked up somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator files saved much faster by unchecking the "Create PDF Compatible File" in the save dialog box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are correct in that unchekcing that box makes your files save faster (and smaller!), it's unrelated to this issue.

I wish either it was UNchecked by default or more folks unchecked this box when saving. As a print provider, I don't need to download a 1 gig file when I could download a 2 meg file 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i found a posible solution to this issue.
The issue starts when I put an image with a text, in mi case was a jpg picture of a wall with a number "4" printed in. I draw a rectangle over the picture, filled with any color,  then try to save the .ai and worked perfectly, erase the rectangle and return the issue. 

Then open the jpg with the number 4 in Photoshop, save again the file without the "progressive" format ( with optimized format) and the problem dissapears. 

Believe or not, that worked.  Hope this helps

Adios amigos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need to have a look at the file.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with every file I create or open. Mac latest operating system. Adobe CC latest version. I’m NOT using variable fonts. Does not matter what font I use every save does this now with new CC version. I have restarted everything.  It is not one specific file it is with every file I open work on and then save. It happens with new files. it only happens with CC 2018 subscription Version.

am using latest version of Extensis Suitcase for font management. Is there a way to eliminate the new variable fonts? They don’t show up in Suitcase to manage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off Suitcase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts are not just in the system. Programs have special places that they install. I use "FontExplorer X Pro" for font management. Library / Font, system etc. it can manage all active fonts in spots. He can clear the cache.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue on CC 2018, up till recently this just made saving very slow but now whenever I try to save a file it takes a good 10-15mins before giving me a "A file I/O error occurred" on rare occasions the save is actually successful. As far as I'm aware I'm not using any custom font managers or plugins.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.05.23.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.08.10.png

I'm using an iMac, macOS: 10.12.6

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a lower version of Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Yes, the screenshot is from saving as a CS6 filetype, but the save time taken is the same as for the default CC and I still get the I/O error. Is the variable fonts message particular to saving as older versions? I hadn't used that feature before I started getting the slow save and error message... I assumed it was related, but then I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines