• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector shapes printing jagged?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CC2017, and in this document one vector rectangle that is slightly rotated shows jagged instead of smooth sides. I expected that this was a previewing issue, but to my surprise the document is actually printing with these lines noticeably jagged.  Here's a screenshot from my document. The black texture is the background, and the beige shape is a closeup on the rectangle. The edges of the print are actually substantially worse than the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 12.28.26 PM.png

Does anyone know what might cause a vector shape to print with jagged edges?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

It does sound like the issue is on the printer's end in China. It would help to know what their workflow process is.

If you give them a PDF, perhaps that will solve the issue. At least you would have control over the Illustrator to PDF conversion.

If they are converting everything to raster, you could try making your own raster image. That way you would have control over the resolution. You would need a high resolution, a minimum of 800 ppi, 1200 ppi would be preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a PostScript enabled printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually a professional printer that's printing this document, so almost certainly. I will ask, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika commented, it may be the printer. Jagged on screen may be the monitor. Do all paths look jagged on the monitor or just this one?

You could try saving as PDF and printing to the printer.

As far as jaggedness on the monitor, try turning on/off the GPU. Click the rocket icon in the menu bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I did not even consider that it could be the monitor. You're completely right—I tried another monitor and the lines are smooth.  So now the display on the screen is fixed... it's just the printing that's the problem.

(Toggling GPU via the rocket icon, and switching from GPU to CPU preview had no effect.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does sound like the issue is on the printer's end in China. It would help to know what their workflow process is.

If you give them a PDF, perhaps that will solve the issue. At least you would have control over the Illustrator to PDF conversion.

If they are converting everything to raster, you could try making your own raster image. That way you would have control over the resolution. You would need a high resolution, a minimum of 800 ppi, 1200 ppi would be preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good solution, thanks Barbara.

And thank you everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the GPU and where do you find it. I having same problems with jagged edges printing on the printer then it makes my shirts look bad. It shows the edges on the shirt . This just started happen never had a problem before. I belive it photoshop and I have done a update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"What's the GPU and where do you find it."

If your issue is in Photoshop I would suggest to post in the Photoshop forum.

Also: please create a new thread, tell your version and systemand post a screenshot or a photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the artboard size if you print from Illustrator.
this is happening when the resolution of the file is low or when you printing from illustrator and you have a file with small simensions like Business cards, so can you please tell us more about your print process?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the printing process: this is a page in a booklet, approximately 6x10". The main complication is that it's being printed with a manufacturer in China, so I don't have a lot of back and forth with their staff.  Given that the jagged display went away, it's looking more and more like this is an issue on their end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines