• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector smart objects not opening in Illustrator when double clicked in PS

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use vector smart objects in my Photoshop files and usually I could just double click on them and they would open up in Illustrator where I could edit them. After the update I can no longer do that. Now when I double click I get a open as PDF prompt in PS. I can't find any way to change that. I tried using the previous versions of PS and Illustrator to do this but it seems that the update has changed the preferences in all the apps.

How can I change it back to the way it was?

Thanks

Omar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find an .ai file on your computer and right click on it and choose "Show Properties" (Windows) or "Get Info" (MacOs). What is your OS trying to open the file with? Maybe the update messed up the file associations? Make sure that Illustrator is set to open the file and choose change all to apply this to all .ai files. Let us know if that addresses your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super frustrating. Illustrator is set to open all files w/ .ai, and there is no way that I can find to edit the original vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to work that way for me also and now with the update it don't work any more.

I am using an PDF and now it opens in Acrobat and not Illustrator.

Richy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found a work around - Convert your Existing smart objects into smart objects again. Then when you double click it'll open in a different tab in Ps BUT if you double click that smart object in the *new tab* it opens in illustrator. 

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines