Highlighted

Vectors not showing up as transparent in indesign after editing in illustrator.

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm downloading vector files from a reputable paid site.  They are the type that have multiple images on one big board and I'm having a real difficult time in illustrator getting them cropped correctly and then saving as transparent so I can use only one of the multiple images over in indesign.  I noticed there is a greyed out option to hide the overfill or whatever it's called (no longer at PC now).  When I use the lasso tool to select the image out of the many that I want, and copy and paste into indesign, it looks like I am losing quality versus placing (distorts backgrounds and everything?!) so I would really like to use the place button in indesign. Every image shows my crop if I crop it (even when clicking transparent when saving).  What is the step by step to crop/save as EPS and place in indesign with no white background?  

Thank you!!

Thanks in advance for help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by federico_platon | Adobe Community Professional

EPS is an obsolate format use others, for keeping vector properties use PDF, AI or SVG, the first is recommended for placing into InDesign.

EPS format does not hold transparency. disregard it completely.

If your files holds in one artboard several items, you can place them separated in new artboards you create in the very same file (see later) or create a new file with an artboard and paste the selected item there.

Once it's placed you can use the Artboard tool to adjust its size manually or using the the top Control bar,  or a command to fit artboard doimensions to artwork on it. Object>Artborad>Fit to artwork bounds (or Fit to Selected Art).

As explained before you can on your initial file add new smaller artboards around your assorted items.Then you can readjust, reorder, move, delete artboards,....

Once you are done, save as PDF.

(By default it saves a PDF with several pages, you can choose from when Placing in InDesign, or you can save them individually as PDFs.

P.S. In Indesign when placing or copying graphics, select them and on the right mouse button menu choose Display Performance>High Quality.

Pasting graphics from Illustrator or other programs may have difficulties when complex gradients, transparencies and effects (also blends, warps,...) have been used.

TOPICS
Draw and design, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Vectors not showing up as transparent in indesign after editing in illustrator.

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm downloading vector files from a reputable paid site.  They are the type that have multiple images on one big board and I'm having a real difficult time in illustrator getting them cropped correctly and then saving as transparent so I can use only one of the multiple images over in indesign.  I noticed there is a greyed out option to hide the overfill or whatever it's called (no longer at PC now).  When I use the lasso tool to select the image out of the many that I want, and copy and paste into indesign, it looks like I am losing quality versus placing (distorts backgrounds and everything?!) so I would really like to use the place button in indesign. Every image shows my crop if I crop it (even when clicking transparent when saving).  What is the step by step to crop/save as EPS and place in indesign with no white background?  

Thank you!!

Thanks in advance for help.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by federico_platon | Adobe Community Professional

EPS is an obsolate format use others, for keeping vector properties use PDF, AI or SVG, the first is recommended for placing into InDesign.

If your files holds in one artboard several items, you can place them separated in new artboards you create in the very same file (see later) or create a new file with an artboard and paste the selected item there.

Once it's placed you can use the Artboard tool to adjust its size manually or using the the top Control bar,  or a command to fit artboard doimensions to artwork on it. Object>Artborad>Fit to artwork bounds (or Fit to Selected Art).

As explained before you can on your initial file add new smaller artboards around your assorted items.Then you can readjust, reorder, move, delete artboards,....

(By default it saves a PDF with several pages, you can choose from when Placing in InDesign, or you can save them individually as PDFs.

P.S. In Indesign when placing or copying graphics, select them and on the right mouse button menu choose Display Performance>High Quality.

Pasting graphics from Illustrator or other programs may have difficulties when complex gradients, transparencies and effects (also blends, warps,...) have been used.

TOPICS
Draw and design, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I will try using PDF and take your other advice as well.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0