• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos Pro - my hand is registering as a touch in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Wacom Intuos Pro Medium (2019) with a Mac Book Pro (also 2019 edition). When I am working in Adobe Illustrator my hand is moving the view of illustrator around instead of the pen. So for example, when I selected the zoom tool, as I move my hand across the artboard (with the pen lifted away from the surface) it zooms wildly in and out. Another example would be when I have Selection Tool selected, my hand as it moves across the tablet surface causes illustrator to move randomly around the screen. I don't seem to get the same issues when in Photoshop (but I do in InDesign?!).

When I turn the 'Touch' function off on my Wacom tablet the problem goes away. But I kinda need that touch function as part of my workflow. 

Can anyone help, its driving me crazy?!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But I don't think this is a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option for palm detection in Illustrator. So if you want that, please tell the engineers.

And actually I'm not quite sure if that is the job for the application or for the driver. So, just post that feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply's but I don't think you understand my problem. I've been using Adobe illustrator with a wacom tablet for 15 years, this tablet is the first one I've had this problem with. I don't think the problem lies with illustrator, I was hoping any other Wacom users, that also use illustrator, might have had the same issue. Please don't mark ith as the correct answer when my problem still persists, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mark anything as correct.

Palm detection can get quite tricky if you want the software to also differentiate between your palm and your finger. And Iguess youare just expecting too much (of either Illustrator or the driver).

You might want to get a glove. At least that is what most people do to prevent these issues. The cotton gloves you can get at pharmacies should be suffcient. Just cut off the index finger and thumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Intuos Pro graphics tablet has touch capabilities in addition to working with the Wacom pen/stylus. If I recall correctly the touch capability is turned on by default. One of the function keys on the left end of the tablet can toggle touch on or off. IIRC it is top button. You can change function key mapping within the Wacom tablet properites dialog box.

Most of the time I have the touch feature turned off in my Wacom tablet. The tablet does have palm rejection technology, but it's not 100% accurate. The touch feature can be handy for applications like Photoshop for things like finger tip smudging tasks and what not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer to your challenge, but wanted to commiserate (six months later). I've also been using Wacom tablets with Adobe tools for over a decade and within the last few months (maybe with my OS update?) my hand is being picked up as a gesture primarily to zoom or rotate. It's not limited to Adobe products for me though, it also happens in Firefox (web pages zooming in SO often). I just updated my Wacom drivers, but I'm wondering if there's a conflict with the latest Mac OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me. Also when toggling between applications (Command Tab) if I have 'Touch' turned on it scrolls wildly between all the app icons in the middle of the screen. So MacOS is definitely also affected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines