Way of having object fill be transparent but hide everything behind it

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be something that I can only wish for but maybe something exists that helps me.
Oftentimes I work with Icons and have multiple overlapping circle like with grapes or berries. I want to have the Icon be lines, no filling only. Once I got my final Icon I can either cut the lines with the scissor or subtract them with the pathfinder tool. However if I want to move some of the circles later I have to adjust again and the semi-circles made from the tool can't be edited easily so I kinda have to do it again.

My solution idea: is there a way to have a "fill option" that makes everything in the fill be transparent. So it hides everything that is behind that object. Or at least withing the fill area. Kinda like white fillings hides everything if it blends with a white background.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to decide if your file lends itself to this, but you can use knockout groups.

If you make an object/fill/stroke within a group transparent, you can check 'Knockout Group' in the transparency panel. This prevents other objects in the group from being visible through the transparency.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

Knock.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may also do it by creating Live Paint Groups and (possibly) Shaper Groups.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines