• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Way to create new paths/object in front of selected path/object?

Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In illustrator, when I create a new path/shape/object it's created at the top of the list of the currently selected layer. If Im dealing with 100 different objects within the layer, its really frustrating to have to either cut the newly created path/shape/object, then scroll down to the desired path/shape/object, and hit ctrl+F (thnx @kurt_Gold for teaching me that)

or

Click on newly chreated path/shape/object and drag it down.

Is there a setting I can change where as soon as I start drawing with the pen tool, or creating a new shape/object, it's created immediately above (in front of) the currently selected path/shape/object?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

I dare say that you will not discover a better way than the Isolation mode route at the moment.

I do know that it is not ideal, therefore I'd suggest to do a feature request with clear instructions how you would like to get it implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible in Isolation mode.

Is that what you may be looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh nice!, I havn't thought that. That means, select the object and use isolation mode and then draw the object. This way it will create the new object in front of the isolated object. Am I right?

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a hard time believing that this is the only method. I'm still open to suggestions from others. That being said, your method does work. Frustrating that you have to assign then use isolate shorcut, then use shortcut again to cancel out of it. I don't want to say "counter productive" but seems like extra steps that hinder the work flow. Slightly better then search and drag. But you could just as easily select new path/shape/object, cut, select desired place (pre-existing path/shape/object) and then Ctrl+F. I'm going to keep this open for a bit before labeling "correct answer". But thus far, it works, and I thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well as far as I know, new objects is always created either at the top or at the end inside the layer, irrespective of the objects, path or shape selected from the layer panel. 

There are 3 modes for Drawing,

• Draw Normal
  • Draw Behind
  • Draw Inside.

But not something like "Draw Selected Mode". May be I am not aware of that, but I am unable to find any setting for this till now.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the basic principle, Charu.

I recommend to define a shortcut to isolate selected objects (see Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu Commands > Other Object).

Then select any object in the stacking order of the Layers palette, hit the shortcut, optionally deselect the selected object and draw the new path directly on top of the isolated item. Hit the Escape key if you are done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dare say that you will not discover a better way than the Isolation mode route at the moment.

I do know that it is not ideal, therefore I'd suggest to do a feature request with clear instructions how you would like to get it implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using this method for quite a while. Perhaps I suffer from a lack of imagination, but I'm at a lost to suggest how it could be made simpler. This is fast and easy. The hardest part is finding a shortcut that doesn't override an existing one, and that's a one-time hurdle.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I chose ctrl+*

Seemed to be free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine that Charu's idea of a "Draw Selected mode" (that probably means a way to permanently draw right on top of any selected object), controlled by an option whatever and wherever it may be without taking the Isolation mode route could be a very good enhancement, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, That is what I mean. We already have three options. New option will help to add objects in front of the selected object 

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kurt. Now that you've restated it, I comprehend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Colect and group  the objects on wich you want to draw  in a new layer.  You can create it with the option create new layer on layers preference panel. so thewhatever you draw will be   on top of that group you are working  instead of going far on top of the main group. *it will be kept as a sub group!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines