Highlighted

Weird thing with CMYK

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys (:

I have some really weird problem, and I have no idea what's wrong.

I've created a vector file, 3600x3600px, 300 dpi, CMYK. After finishing my work I saved it like a jpeg (export -- export as -- jpeg), with the same 300 dpi and CMYK mode, maximum (8). 
somehow I end up with a 15000x15000px, 72dpi file. But if I open it with AI, it says that it's 3600 and 300 -_-

I've spent hours and feel completely dumb. Can anyone help?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Doug A Roberts | Adobe Community Professional

For what you want straight out of Illustrator, focus on the fact that it will be printed and thus have a physical size.

Your printed piece will be 12 inches square, so make a document that size. Export a JPEG from that at 300 PPI, it should have the correct pixel dimensions.

TOPICS
Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Weird thing with CMYK

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys (:

I have some really weird problem, and I have no idea what's wrong.

I've created a vector file, 3600x3600px, 300 dpi, CMYK. After finishing my work I saved it like a jpeg (export -- export as -- jpeg), with the same 300 dpi and CMYK mode, maximum (8). 
somehow I end up with a 15000x15000px, 72dpi file. But if I open it with AI, it says that it's 3600 and 300 -_-

I've spent hours and feel completely dumb. Can anyone help?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Doug A Roberts | Adobe Community Professional

For what you want straight out of Illustrator, focus on the fact that it will be printed and thus have a physical size.

Your printed piece will be 12 inches square, so make a document that size. Export a JPEG from that at 300 PPI, it should have the correct pixel dimensions.

TOPICS
Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 300 ppi setting is not the file's resolution, but the resolution for rendering raster effects, such as shadows.

So you want to export your 3600 px file in exactly those dimensions? Then export it at 72 ppi.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the final file to be 3600x3600px, 300 ppi and 12 x 12 inch at the same time 😄

I thought the dimensions wouldn't change. So is there any way to save it as I need in AI? The solution I found looks kinda insane: exporting the file from AI to PS, then save as jpeg. But if there is an easier way, I will be just so happy

P.S. Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm new to printing stuff and all these rules. Thank you for your answer!)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fault is likely that you busted up your initial document settings. AI bases all its calculations on actual inches and points, and if you dialled in some odd pixel values without regard to the document DPI it's screwy. that and of course the current export functions are somehow buggy in that they do wrong calculations if the export DPI doesn't match the document DPI. so double-check this stuff.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 1
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you export a JPEG for printing? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Print a PDF.

In any case: export your document at 72 ppi. If you need it to be 300 ppi, then you will have to open it in Photoshop, go to "Image size", disable the resampling and set it to 300 ppi.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is that I have no idea what went wrong and where did I make a mistake. Usually I use pixels, not inches or anything else, and it's the first time I've been asked to sent 300 ppi jpeg file, so I changed 72 to 300 and used inches instead of pixels while creating a new document. I think I missed something important, but don't have any thoughts what exactly 😄

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's the first time I'm facing printing process ever ) I've been asked to send a JPEG file, so I didn't even google if there is a better way to print. Anyway, I think I'll try to use PDF or resize with Photoshop, thank you!

I just had a hope that it's some stupid noob mistake, and somebody will show me an easy way to fix it )) 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020 0
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator files don't have a resolution. The thing you are setting up in the new files is the document raster settings, which is important for how your drop shadows look.

When someone tells you to deliver a file with certain pixel dimensions then the ppi of that file is irrelevant for you. The pixel dimensions is everything you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020 0
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020 0