• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When using the action to batch files Illustrator stops running if I click out of the program

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the batch action tool in Illustrator for many years to save out AI files into another format like PNG, JPG, etc. I have always been able to perform this action and then click out of illustrator to work on something else for example in photoshop while that batch runs. Now that I have updated I am unable to work on other things while the batch is running. The batch will stop as soon as I click out of Illustrator. Is there something I can do to keep the batch running but work on other things like I used to be able to do?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that i don't have an answer for you, but i just wanted to pop in and say I'm SHOCKED that this used to work for you.. I've never been able to do any kind of automation (particularly anything that needs to open/close/save documents) without having illustrator in focus.

what version were you using before, and which version are you using now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the version before 25.2.3 That is what i am running now and it does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dilliam,

are you sure that it has never worked for you?

It used to work and it still works for me (latest version of Illustrator on Mac OS 10.14.6).

To verify, I just did a batch process with a rather complex action (including opening and closing documents) and immediately changed the focus to another application.

The batch process worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the script i'm doing is entirely inside of one document (and doesn't include any functionality that forces Illustrator to redraw the screen), i can change focus away from illustrator without problems. but opening a document, switching to a different document, closing a document etc have always required me to have illustrator in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tested again. if i switch away from illustrator (to chrome in this test) illustrator hangs completely and the icon bounces in the dock. whenever i switch focus back to illustrator the script continues.

And while i was writing this i realized that we're talking about different things. You're talking about using the built in batch function in the actions panel, yes? I haven't even attempted that functionality since.... CS6? I had nothing but headaches with it, so i just switched to using scripts only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am referring to the built in batch function within the actions panel. It can be troublesome but for the simple saving out files to different file types it has mostly worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's a different game, Dilliam.

I was referring to the specific task described in the initial post.

It should still work without having Illustrator in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea i just misunderstood the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? Illustrator's batch mechanisms cause headaches?

That can't be true. It's a veteran performer and if you are kind it is rock-solid and reliable as a 1950's single-cylinder tractor.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pamela,

can you tell what operating system you are using?

As stated above, batch processing actions still does work for me without having Illustrator in focus.

Also: More often than not strange things may happen if one does not restart Illustrator and the entire machine on a regular basis. Do you do that at least sometimes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM

All I did was add this and it worked! 

app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you add this? to a script? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it was a script that image-traced a bunch of png's in a folder and saved them as .ai files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines