Where is the culprit?

Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed 4ea 43" x 16' banners yesterday created in Illustrator.
To my horror, the finished product was 7/8" short.
I've had this problem before.
I'm printing on a Roland SG540 and using Versaworks 6 rip software.
Can anybody suggest where I should start to troubleshoot?

TOPICS
Draw and design, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Navigator7,

What happens if you save/print to PDF, and if that looks right, what happens if you use the PDF instead of the AI document for the Roland print?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Jacob!
I've only printed as EPS.  
I've never printed as PDF although many people have sent me PDF's that I convert to AI, do my artwork, but then I save it as an EPS.
Printing another 16' file in a PDF format is unlikley as the customer had no problem with my banners being 7/8" shy and I've been paid.  LOL
What is the reasoning  behind printing as PDF to make my files print to the dimension I expect?
I come from a small town, backwater and never saw the value in printing PDF.....the files look plastic or fake on my screen so I've never been excited about trying. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Versaworks showing as the document dimension in your Job List? If the size is correct there, I'm going to say there's a distance calibration issue with your printer. I was just looking at the specs for the SG540 and it has a tolernace of +/-.3%, which over 16 feet can be out as much as 9/16"... which isn't that far from the 7/8" you experienced

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep...just checked.  Versaworks numbers are identical to my design.
I did a 13 foot vinyl sign with a CutContour not long ago.
It wasn't until after I laminated and had it back in the machine cutting did I realize I didn't add bleed.
Regardless, the machine  cut spot on.  
I do a lot of 4' x 8' signs as any signmaker might.  I put 4x8 rectangles in the design with a .25 Pt stroke and opacity set low to help me align the vinyl.  It's  never  on the money.  Really frustrating.  
I never expected errors like this.
But...I get your point.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it short on both dimensions, or just the 16foot?

EPS is an outdated format not updated since pre millenium and does not even have ability to save with transparency effects,Rip a pdf.

If you open the file in illustrator and the size is correct, then the problem is in versa works settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was short in both. The dimensions were 16' long by 34" h so the error was way smaller.
I had no idea EPS was not serving me properly.  That information was worth the price of admission!
😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines