Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White is black for some reason!

Participant ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Last week I did a flag banner for a client and all looked OK and fine in the illustrator file. I created outlines on the text and exported to both PDF and EPS. Uploaded them, assumming there were the same as the AI file. I also did a JPG export to show the client all was OK.

Today, the client got in touch. "What happened? The text was black!!"

See attached images...

Even though the text appears white in the artboard, the colour selector shows the colour to be black.

The JPG file was great and looked as it should.

How does this happen, and how can I prevent this in future?

Thanks in advance

Rob

practice safe design | use a concept ~ Petrula Vrontikis
TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you for the file.

It is indeed a mystery to me why this happens.

I is easily solved by applying white when you see  the black mystery fill, but I cannot detect the reason it is there, but only visible when outlines are created.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Yes, it's pretty mysterious. As well as Ton I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce it so far.

My guess is that it is some kind of corruption at the object level, possibly caused by a very tricky, but unknown bug.

As far as I can see, it must have something to do with the greyscale mode in the Colours palette since the wrong colour indication immediately disappears when you choose any of the other modes (CMYK, RGB, HSB).

Another quite astounding thing is that you can somehow reverse th

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

I had this same issue; on the apperance panel it appears as a white fill, but in PDF export black text.
I updated Illustrator, no luck.

Solution: Copied the text, made a new layer, pasted, set to outline and renamed the file. For some reason that ended up working!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the Appearance panel with the text selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please double-click on the "Characters" line and show the result. There may be default Black fill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does indicate a black fill, but the text is white on the artboard. It is white when saving and re-opening, it's white on a JPG export. Just turns black on a PDF and EPS save, when converting to outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps share the original Illustrator file (.ai)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd rather not, it's a commercial piece. IF you can give some pointers of what I am looking for?

Thanks

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Kurt, if you can share just the textpart and the background.

Dropbox, CC filesharing, Google, WeTransfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here is the cut-down file to the font area and background concerned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36qf5hnayw57d4q/text_black.ai?dl=0

The font has been created by me, so you wont have that. If that is teh issue, let me know and I can share.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necessarily required to share the entire file.

It may be sufficient to provide just a part, namely the part that contains the type object in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the file broken down to the problem area.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36qf5hnayw57d4q/text_black.ai?dl=0

The font was created by me, so you wont have that. If that is the issue, let me know and I can share.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file.

It is indeed a mystery to me why this happens.

I is easily solved by applying white when you see  the black mystery fill, but I cannot detect the reason it is there, but only visible when outlines are created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's pretty mysterious. As well as Ton I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce it so far.

My guess is that it is some kind of corruption at the object level, possibly caused by a very tricky, but unknown bug.

As far as I can see, it must have something to do with the greyscale mode in the Colours palette since the wrong colour indication immediately disappears when you choose any of the other modes (CMYK, RGB, HSB).

Another quite astounding thing is that you can somehow reverse the situation by:

- selecting one of the white type objects.

- choosing black percentages from 99,5 % up to 100 % in the Colours palette (in greyscale mode)

In this case the type object appears to be black, but the colour indicator says it is white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same issue; on the apperance panel it appears as a white fill, but in PDF export black text.
I updated Illustrator, no luck.

Solution: Copied the text, made a new layer, pasted, set to outline and renamed the file. For some reason that ended up working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines