• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White mask for printing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am printing a business card on Kraft paper.  I need to create a white mask for a colored waves image and colored text on the card so the image prints vibrant on the kraft paper.  The white mask needs to be separate from my file, same size as artwork and vector. Not sure how to do this!2019-06-07 (2).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You duplicate all the artwork and color it with whatever color they told you.

I suppose it should be a spot color.

And about the files: you need to ask the printing service if this should be two separate files, or two pages in one file, or a separate layer or whatever. Talk to them on the phone, so you can directly ask when you don't understand something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kim,

You would need a custom opaque white ink and ask the printer exactly how they wish you to set it up.

But why not use white Kraft paper and add a grey frame, which would be require less ink and be more accurate, especially at the ends of the wavy shapes (you may think misregistration).

Trap (printing) - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought about placing an image in the background of your artwork in order to simulate kraft paper instead of printing on actual kraft?

Then you could order full color business cards much cheaper from a place such as gotprint.com or vistaprint.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What color is the paper?  I am concerned with the text elements.  You could defer the logistics of file prep to the print vendor if they are willing to assist. But Monika's suggestion should get you to where you want to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question! I have to print on a clear acrylic sign and the manufacturer requires me to upload a white mask, but i have no idea how. 

Can the people in the comments below stop offering alternatives and answer the questions please. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already wrote 2 years ago: contact the manufacturer and ask them exactly how you are supposed to provide this and then deliver it according to the specifications.

Manufacturers have different specifications for the task. And before anyone can even think about a solution, we need the specification. And then also we need to see your artwork and we need to know which part of it exactly needs the white undercoat. Without having all this information nobody will be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you call your vendor for the exact file specs, do a search on clingz printing to get some basic information about printing on vinyl, and search this forum for Spot White. Here is a related thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/printing-white/m-p/11583960#M251575

Also note that vinyl substrate also comes in white (no spot ink needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 would use an opacity mask to mask all the parts that don't need to be white.

Create a new layer

Create a box same size as your card, give it a black fill. Duplicate the box.

On the original layer, select all the elements that you need the white underprint.

Copy these. Go to the new layer, use ctrl+f to paste in place. Convert all the text to outlines. Set the fill to for all these elements to white (0%k). Ģroup all these elements.  Select this group and the top black box, group the selection, cut this out. Select the remaining box

On the transparency  tab, select make opacity mask

DJC1962_0-1613587362258.png

Paste in place the group you just cut.

Click on the left panel to exit opacity mask mode.

DJC1962_1-1613587535802.png

You should have an exact white plate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry missed a step, and unable to edit the post. Before you make the opasity mask, on the remaining box, set the fill to spot white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines