Whose assets are better - Illustrator or InDesign?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to be brief. 

I'm trying to save the smallest file sized assets to be used for e-books and other applications.

I created my art in Illustrator and scaled them to fit a "phone" format in InDesign.

I would like to export them using Illustrator, so I could save my assets in varing files and sizes, I'm trying to make my files small as possible, for web applications, while at the same time, have larger files for printing. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Here's my question ... since I scaled the artwork to fit an InDesign format, do I need to copy and paste the sized InDesign artwork into a new Illustrator file, to have the smallest asset file(s) size(s), and then save my assets or can I save my assets directly from InDesign?

As far as I can tell, InDesign does not give you the flexability that Illustrator does.

This is for a series of paper folding e-books, that uses a standard 8-1/2" x 11" as a base for multiple projects, that will hopfully will change the world for the better.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, John

TOPICS
Feature request, Import and export, Performance, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator files are vector based and scalable without losing quality.

There are some exceptions, if you have used pixel effects (blur, glow, dropshadow...) or have placed pixelbased images, these elements can lose quality when scaled up.

InDesign is a very good tool for your purpose, but be aware that scaling vector files to smaller dimensions does not make the document size smaller, it is the same information whether it is the size of a billboard or the size of a stamp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines