• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I having to ungroup for eyedropper tool or selecting a swatch to apply color now?

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object.

This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches.

This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

These issues have started this past week and it's driving me crazy. I have not changed anything to my knowledge. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.21.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.16.57 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.38.53 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Looks solved in 22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases, it's showing white. Hmm. Looking for possible reasons.

• Look in your layers panel. Is there a white object with zero transparency on top?

• Look in the appearance panel. Is there anything there? Are the appearances on the path, group, and / or layer?

• Start a new document with simple shapes without multiple appearances. Does the same thing happen?

Is it any of these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 2.27.14 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 2.21.33 PM.jpg

Does not appear to be making a differnce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in the appearance panel, the chosen color gets applied, but is below the "contents" which is the single paths.

Can you please show what happens in the appearance panel step by step from the point where you create the group?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize your Appearance panel so we can see all of it. Note that the fill is white on the part we can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news, using the selection tool and selecting the swatch and applying it to the group of rectangles DID change the color without having to ungroup it. (I changed no settings. Gremlins- my only explanation for that working.)

Bad news, using the eye dropper to change the color of the group of three rectangles did not work again.

Thank you for trying to help. Do these screen shots help? (when you try to use the eyedropper tool and take a screen shot, the pointer icon (dropper) disappears on the document page.)

Untitled-3_Page_1.jpgUntitled-3_Page_2.jpgUntitled-3_Page_3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is that when using the eyedropper, Illustrator applies a fill to the group, which is pinkt, but it's below the contents of the group, which are blue.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-19 um 14.14.41.png

With your settings of the eyedropper tool this actually shouldn't happen.

What you could  try (and should help): when using the eyedroper make sure the fill is focused and then click on the pink with the shift key pressed. This should prevent Illustrator from applying a new fill to the group and instead apply the pink to the rectangles directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change. I tired other combos of alt, command, shift and option with the eyedropper tool- no change.

I tried making another group of 2 green rectangles and used them in place of the pink one- no change.

I tried making a whole new document and making the same scenario with different colors- no change.

Untitled-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did you last restart the computer?

Try and reset the preferences by renaming the folder (that way it can be reverted if it doesn't help)

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. What next?

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug in CC 2018.

Works fine in 2017, but in 2018 a new fill is added below the contents of the group.

You can report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that there were a few new updates that I had not installed (since this conversations started). I will update AI and see if it's any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the most recent 22,0,1 (and that does not solve your problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to that version and you are correct.

I did report the issue to Illustrator feedback. Thank you for suggesting that. We'll see what happens next.

(sorry for the INDD screen shot, should have used an AI screenshot from earlier post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks solved in 22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on version 25.0.1/ 2020 and getting this bug.
I see it's marked as "solved" but see no solutions in the whole thread.
Why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not solved.

Mac OS 12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now March 2023. I'm working with 27.2 on MacOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68) and it just started malfunctioning, so....gremlins for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround:

Pick up the color, hold down the Alt key and click on the objects of the group to fill them one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, my Illustrator files can get crazy huge sometimes and this would take forreeeevverrrrr....I hope they can fix the glitch. Much appreciated suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with version 24.0.1 CC 2020. Did you find a solution for this? The eyedropper has the same function with text and groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue now with 24.2.3. I never had this issue before upgrading my OS to Catalina, but now that I have, the eye dropper will only change the color of objects in a group if I first ungroup them (and then regroup after the change). Additionally, if I use the Direct Selection tool (a), I get the annoying "bonk" noise whenever I move an object within a group (even though it moves it just fine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. I'm on Catalina with Illustrator 24.3. Never seen this before. Just like everyone else, my grouped objects ignore the eyedropper, even though the fill and stroke on the left of the program changes. However, I'm noticing some weird behavior. Some of my grouped objects DO acknowledge the eyedropper but only for certain things and only sometimes. I have seven seperate grouped objects (each being made up of the same three rectangles, blue with black .5 pt stroke). One of them absolutely refuses anything from the eyedropper. The others at first only obeyed two things: the stroke of any other object (keeping the fill the same), and the background. However, after messing around with it some more, it got even more weird. When I directly selected a rectangle from the group closest to the one that refused everything, it itself suddenly started to refuse everything, as well as another group that I hadn't directly selected. Also, I made one group copy the 2 pt stroke from another object in the document, and another group have no stroke (from eyedropping the background), and when I tried to eyedrop the 2 pt stroke group to copy it to the no stroke group, instead of copying just the 2 pt stroke like I expected, it copied just the .5 stroke it used to have. I'm going to have to do a lot more experimenting to see what on earth the problem is but I have the feeling it's remembering what fill/stroke it had in the past and is messing up there somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issues as you, most of the time it doesn't work, but sometimes it works. And there is no rhyme or reason as to why it works when it does work. It is very frustrating that this was marked as solved because it is an issue that has persisted for FIVE years. Absolutely unacceptable for how much they charge for the Creative Cloud subscriptions. This is verging on criminal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines