Highlighted

Why am I having to ungroup for eyedropper tool or selecting a swatch to apply color now?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object.

This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches.

These issues have started this past week and it's driving me crazy. I have not changed anything to my knowledge. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.21.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.16.57 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.38.53 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton_Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Looks solved in 22.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why am I having to ungroup for eyedropper tool or selecting a swatch to apply color now?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches.

These issues have started this past week and it's driving me crazy. I have not changed anything to my knowledge. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.21.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.16.57 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.38.53 PM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton_Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Looks solved in 22.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases, it's showing white. Hmm. Looking for possible reasons.

• Look in your layers panel. Is there a white object with zero transparency on top?

• Look in the appearance panel. Is there anything there? Are the appearances on the path, group, and / or layer?

• Start a new document with simple shapes without multiple appearances. Does the same thing happen?

Is it any of these?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 2.27.14 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 2.21.33 PM.jpg

Does not appear to be making a differnce.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in the appearance panel, the chosen color gets applied, but is below the "contents" which is the single paths.

Can you please show what happens in the appearance panel step by step from the point where you create the group?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize your Appearance panel so we can see all of it. Note that the fill is white on the part we can see.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news, using the selection tool and selecting the swatch and applying it to the group of rectangles DID change the color without having to ungroup it. (I changed no settings. Gremlins- my only explanation for that working.)

Bad news, using the eye dropper to change the color of the group of three rectangles did not work again.

Thank you for trying to help. Do these screen shots help? (when you try to use the eyedropper tool and take a screen shot, the pointer icon (dropper) disappears on the document page.)

Untitled-3_Page_1.jpgUntitled-3_Page_2.jpgUntitled-3_Page_3.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is that when using the eyedropper, Illustrator applies a fill to the group, which is pinkt, but it's below the contents of the group, which are blue.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-19 um 14.14.41.png

With your settings of the eyedropper tool this actually shouldn't happen.

What you could  try (and should help): when using the eyedroper make sure the fill is focused and then click on the pink with the shift key pressed. This should prevent Illustrator from applying a new fill to the group and instead apply the pink to the rectangles directly.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change. I tired other combos of alt, command, shift and option with the eyedropper tool- no change.

I tried making another group of 2 green rectangles and used them in place of the pink one- no change.

I tried making a whole new document and making the same scenario with different colors- no change.

Untitled-3.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did you last restart the computer?

Try and reset the preferences by renaming the folder (that way it can be reverted if it doesn't help)

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. What next?

Untitled-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug in CC 2018.

Works fine in 2017, but in 2018 a new fill is added below the contents of the group.

You can report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround:

Pick up the color, hold down the Alt key and click on the objects of the group to fill them one by one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, my Illustrator files can get crazy huge sometimes and this would take forreeeevverrrrr....I hope they can fix the glitch. Much appreciated suggestion, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that there were a few new updates that I had not installed (since this conversations started). I will update AI and see if it's any better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the most recent 22,0,1 (and that does not solve your problem).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to that version and you are correct.

I did report the issue to Illustrator feedback. Thank you for suggesting that. We'll see what happens next.

(sorry for the INDD screen shot, should have used an AI screenshot from earlier post)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, if anyone wants to vote:

eyedropper tool – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks solved in 22.1

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with version 24.0.1 CC 2020. Did you find a solution for this? The eyedropper has the same function with text and groups.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group