• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why am I not able to embed a color profile when saving as an SVG?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working with files that use the 'Adobe RGB' color profile. When I save a file as an SVG, then I open it back up, it reverts back to srgb color profile. Even if I switch the color profile back to Adobe RGB and save it, it always reverts back to sRGB. Please help!

I have attached 2 screenshots. 1 showing what it looks likes w/ Adobe RGB profile in Illustrator, and the other shows what it looks like after I save as SVG.

 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG is a vector format for the web. According to its specification, all SVG colors are in the sRGB color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Additionally, SVG content can specify an alternate color specification using an ICC profile [ICC42] as described in Specifying paint. If ICC-based colors are provided and the SVG user agent supports ICC color, then the ICC-based color takes precedence over the sRGB color specification; otherwise, the RGB fallback colors must be used. Note that, in this specification, color interpolation occurs in an RGB color space even if an ICC-based color specification is provided (see â€˜color-interpolation’).

The very next line...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I've seen no evidence that any common app supports this. Certainly, it's irrelevant if SVG is used for its intended purpose, web graphics. All SVG must contain sRGB colours, even if they also contain optional (and largely ignored) ICC colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Color management - Inkscape Wiki

By @Nick21946229mk1e

The documentation doesn't mention if this applies to the standard SVGs Inkscape saves or to their own implementation of the SVG file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines