Highlighted

Why are anchor points missing in Illustrator CC2018?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading, its one issue after another, but here's a major one.

My anchor points are missing and they only show up when I mouse over the object or hold down the COMMAND, or Hold down the COMMAND SPACE BAR (zoom) - what happened to the good old days when I have the SHOW EDGES option on And the ACTUAL EDGES remain visible.  The first picture is what I'm getting at all times. I'm looking to have the edges shown at all times... the second picture is like it was in the good old times, when the edges were shown at all times if one had the 'show edges' option on. I also went through the preferences. TO no avail. Any help on this would be appreciated.Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why are anchor points missing in Illustrator CC2018?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading, its one issue after another, but here's a major one.

My anchor points are missing and they only show up when I mouse over the object or hold down the COMMAND, or Hold down the COMMAND SPACE BAR (zoom) - what happened to the good old days when I have the SHOW EDGES option on And the ACTUAL EDGES remain visible.  The first picture is what I'm getting at all times. I'm looking to have the edges shown at all times... the second picture is like it was in the good old times, when the edges were shown at all times if one had the 'show edges' option on. I also went through the preferences. TO no avail. Any help on this would be appreciated.Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kurt Gold | Adobe Community Professional

Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 19, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I had this same issue. I just want to say I've been working in Illustrator since Illustrator 1988 and I am getting damn tired of having to RELEARN THE PROGRAM everytime you guys want to sell a new upgrade! I am a professional graphic artist of 30 years and everytime you move things around, change the keyboard commands, decide you liked the way it worked in FREEHAND better or whatever other random idea that floats into your head - YOU DEVALUE MY SKILL SET AND EVERY OTHER PERSON WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING. That's not just Illustrator - THAT'S EVERY ONE OF YOUR PROGRAMS.  You disrespect me, you disrespect the industry, your disrespect YOUR OWN PROGRAMS - and for what? You got everybody on subscription service now, everybody is paying you every month, all your programs are the industry standard - WHY DO YOU INSIST ON CONTINUALLY CHANGING THINGS THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED???  The days of upgrading to add features that WE NEED are LONG OVER. Fix the bugs if you want to play around - your software is buggier now than it's ever been in the past 30 years! I know because THAT'S HOW LONG I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 6
Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcuts haven't been changed in ... ages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's ONE of the things I mentioned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 2
Ingmari LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you!

It has become a nightmare - instead of working I'm trying to guess why this or that tool doesn't work the way it did before! Yesterday I have to work on my notebook which fortunately has the previous version of Illustrator, because after many years of working with Adobe products I am note able to understand how to change the anchor point and rotate the object in new version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered another post regarding this matter, as I had the same issue. I apparently used a keyboard command that turned off the Bounding Box (probably trying to get "bold" font). When I turned it back on again, I had my anchor/selection points again!

Menu Bar:  View —> Show Bounding Box

I wish I could find the post where I found the answer to give the person credit, but I have lost it. I hope this solves your problem!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2018 6
Guide ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this was freaking me out!  On Mac, it turned out to be Command-H that fixed the invisible edges, anchor points, control points, etc.  Suddenly, I was UNABLE to work! This fixed it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 9
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep using Command-H to try to hide the Illustrator window, as on all other Adobe apps, which constantly toggles the bounding box. I now have it memorized that it does NOT hide the app. LOL.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debi_L  wrote

I keep using Command-H to try to hide the Illustrator window, as on all other Adobe apps, which constantly toggles the bounding box. I now have it memorized that it does NOT hide the app. LOL.

It does not toggle the bounding box, it shows/hide edges

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton. I am very aware of that (now). It took me a week to get used to that. I was just sharing my "aha" moment! I still find myself forgetting about hiding the app by going to the menu bar and not Command-H, but at least I know the result of using that command.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 0
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debi, if you really like to use Cmd H for Hiding Illustrator, you can use Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to delete the Hide Edges shortcut and assign it to Menu Commands > Illustrator CC > Hide Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I should have explored that option. I didn't think it would apply to the "Illustrator" menu so I did not pursue it. I like when I learn something new.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this helped! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much... for windows its ctrl + h .... it worked a dream 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command H - Thank you!!!! I had a nightmare hour where my anchor points went mising. I thought it was the 2020 update - until I read this thread. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much – this is what I was looking for!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, in spite of selecting the : Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools, I am unable to see the anchor points and hence I am unable to rotate or scale the shape / form. THis is very confussing and inconvenient. Sir, I'm a beginner and I don't know where else to look for the solution. Kindly help Sir. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, Inspite of : Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools., I am unable to see the anchore points and hence unavble to scale of rotate the shape/form. This is very confusing and inconvenient. Kindly help Sir, I am a beginner and don't know much about the software technicalities. Regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per both answers above. 

Go to the Illustrator View > Show Bounding Box (Command+Shift+B).  

Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and tick the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools.

It is very frustrating that certain short-cut commands turn off/on Bounding Box (Command+Shift+B). 

Going to preferences doesn't rectify the issue if Bounding Box has been accidently turned off.

There use to be in the top selection tool bar, an option to quickly turn on/off bounding box as an drop-down icon.  Since its removal, having to regularly search for this solution everytime Bounding Box has been accidently turn off.

Solution.  Remove short-cut commands for Bounding box under view.  Return the quick select icon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0