Why are anchor points missing in Illustrator CC2018?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading, its one issue after another, but here's a major one.

My anchor points are missing and they only show up when I mouse over the object or hold down the COMMAND, or Hold down the COMMAND SPACE BAR (zoom) - what happened to the good old days when I have the SHOW EDGES option on And the ACTUAL EDGES remain visible.  The first picture is what I'm getting at all times. I'm looking to have the edges shown at all times... the second picture is like it was in the good old times, when the edges were shown at all times if one had the 'show edges' option on. I also went through the preferences. TO no avail. Any help on this would be appreciated.Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-19 at 9.23.57 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018
Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Illustrator Preferences > Selection & Anchor Point Display and turn on the option that is called Show Anchor Points in Selection tool and Shape tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I had this same issue. I just want to say I've been working in Illustrator since Illustrator 1988 and I am getting damn tired of having to RELEARN THE PROGRAM everytime you guys want to sell a new upgrade! I am a professional graphic artist of 30 years and everytime you move things around, change the keyboard commands, decide you liked the way it worked in FREEHAND better or whatever other random idea that floats into your head - YOU DEVALUE MY SKILL SET AND EVERY OTHER PERSON WHO DOES THIS FOR A LIVING. That's not just Illustrator - THAT'S EVERY ONE OF YOUR PROGRAMS.  You disrespect me, you disrespect the industry, your disrespect YOUR OWN PROGRAMS - and for what? You got everybody on subscription service now, everybody is paying you every month, all your programs are the industry standard - WHY DO YOU INSIST ON CONTINUALLY CHANGING THINGS THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED???  The days of upgrading to add features that WE NEED are LONG OVER. Fix the bugs if you want to play around - your software is buggier now than it's ever been in the past 30 years! I know because THAT'S HOW LONG I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcuts haven't been changed in ... ages.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's ONE of the things I mentioned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you!

It has become a nightmare - instead of working I'm trying to guess why this or that tool doesn't work the way it did before! Yesterday I have to work on my notebook which fortunately has the previous version of Illustrator, because after many years of working with Adobe products I am note able to understand how to change the anchor point and rotate the object in new version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This right Here.... wiouth explanation on why the change.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hands down, the greatest piece of feedback I have ever seen on this forum...and I agree 100%!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100% with this. However, I have absolutely no expectation that Adobe will consider the feedback of its users to make its products better. 

The reason... Adobe has a monopoly in the industry. Name another program that even comes close to what most of the major Adobe programs. Corel? Paint Pro? Not even close. Becasue of this Adobe doesn't care at all what you think becasue you WILL buy the program regardless of whether you think it's good or not. Becasue you need it to do your job. Whether or not your job is more difficult becasue of the decisions Adobe makes isn't really a concern for them. 

Until a competitor makes software that can compete with Adobe, we're all stuck with their stupid decisions that constantly make our lives more and more difficult. Adobe isn't in the business of making software, they are in the business of making money. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered another post regarding this matter, as I had the same issue. I apparently used a keyboard command that turned off the Bounding Box (probably trying to get "bold" font). When I turned it back on again, I had my anchor/selection points again!

Menu Bar:  View —> Show Bounding Box

I wish I could find the post where I found the answer to give the person credit, but I have lost it. I hope this solves your problem!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this was freaking me out!  On Mac, it turned out to be Command-H that fixed the invisible edges, anchor points, control points, etc.  Suddenly, I was UNABLE to work! This fixed it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep using Command-H to try to hide the Illustrator window, as on all other Adobe apps, which constantly toggles the bounding box. I now have it memorized that it does NOT hide the app. LOL.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debi_L  wrote

I keep using Command-H to try to hide the Illustrator window, as on all other Adobe apps, which constantly toggles the bounding box. I now have it memorized that it does NOT hide the app. LOL.

It does not toggle the bounding box, it shows/hide edges

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ton. I am very aware of that (now). It took me a week to get used to that. I was just sharing my "aha" moment! I still find myself forgetting about hiding the app by going to the menu bar and not Command-H, but at least I know the result of using that command.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debi, if you really like to use Cmd H for Hiding Illustrator, you can use Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts to delete the Hide Edges shortcut and assign it to Menu Commands > Illustrator CC > Hide Illustrator

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I should have explored that option. I didn't think it would apply to the "Illustrator" menu so I did not pursue it. I like when I learn something new.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved me! Thanks a lot! Command+H unhide all anchor points and guidelines.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this helped! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much... for windows its ctrl + h .... it worked a dream 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command H - Thank you!!!! I had a nightmare hour where my anchor points went mising. I thought it was the 2020 update - until I read this thread. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much – this is what I was looking for!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaah – you saved me in my despair over weeks… – thank you so much 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! I just came across this. Thank you for saving me from hours of aggravation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this was 4 years ago and still heplful. thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! This fixed it, thank you! I was so used to using Command H to hide other Apps, I forgot I did this in Illustrator and then had this issue - very frustrating but simple to resolve, once you realise!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines