• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are the strokes from my Illustrator brushes so huge?

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am attaching two pictures to show what I am talking about - they are fairly nondescript but just imagine that they are sections of a bigger picture. I originally drew a sketch and I am now wanting make a vector of my drawing for use in a logo. I still want the sketchy feel to it though, so I will need to add some kind of brush to the stroke at the end to make it feel rougher and more naturally artistic. My issue is that I am working at a normal size - a normal piece of paper and resolution should not be an issue in illustrator anyway, seeing as I am working with vectors. And yet, when I go to stroke my path at a very small size - the smallest size .25 pt or whatever, the strokes are so huge, that my original forms are completely destroyed.... But this must be possible??? I just don't understand what is going on. I have always had a lot of issues with illustrator brushes for this reason and while attempting freehand drawing for similar reasons. The strokes are all too large and they look wild. Please help me fix this. Thanks!!!

Sincerely, April 

Original-Shape.PNGshape-with-stroke.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, so you are "brushing" the stroke. Depending on the brush itself will determine a particular width on the stroke and increase and decrease according to stroke size. you can edit the brush if you like to achieve the result you are looking for.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I go to edit the stroke? Would you mind posting a screenshot of how to do this? - Thanks for the reply.  - I found a place to edit the stroke, but I see no features that address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uploading a video quick, hang 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. If I need to know how to copy the brush and make an entirely new brush out of it... because the type of brush is an issue, please include that in the demo. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already started to upload, but you will have it as a separate instance of the brush, you can also duplicated and rename it see my screenshot:

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.57.49.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a really nice tutorial, but that is somehow not what is happening to me. I am wanting to add strokes to forms. The idea is similar, as it is a stroke with an additional fill, and everything is path based... but what you were showing already looked like it was working correctly. (Considering that you were way zoomed in to be even able to show the over-large path.) The forms are not tiny, the first screenshot was taken at 100%. They may look small but the whole document is a normal-sized piece of paper so 8x11 inches and a 1pt line is really small, so it should actually work fine. Also, when I do exactly that with the brushes that I have nothing changes... I am guessing that it has to do with the brush "type"? I guess I might go see if I can find the chalk brush that you were using and see if the settings on that brush are also better. I just don't really understand why every brush that I have tried so far looks giant right out of the box... 

P.S. Also, I found the brushes that you showed and I tried it, and I have the same issue as before .25 pt is too large. It opens the artistic chalk brushes in a new tab (I am using the German version of PS) but then I go to the corner and there is no option to select "brush options" like I see in a different brush library that I have open... 

Correction: I failed to have the preview box checked on the other brush where I can get to the brush options menu. It does seem to work fine, thank you. However, I am still unsure why I cannot access the options on some of the other brush sets. I am also unsure of why everything seems oversized to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. You will have to spend sometime exploring strokes, brushes, effects, paths, brushes and their attributes. There is too much for you to know to be able to address them all in one post. I am willing to look at the AI file of yours to see how/what etc your objects consist of and give you advice based on that. (strokes and non closed shapes and so on) Can all influence the look when applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think I can get close enough now if I can find the right brush... There is something that I don't like about the stroke at the moment but it is more of an artistic preference rather than a technical problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, cool... you can also create a custem brush set... like I say explore all the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm having a similar issue now that I am on my new Mac with Mojave, a Wacom Cintiq 13HD and Illustrator 2021: I am trying to do line art for an illustration, but am not able to create a brush that is small enough to fit. I enlarged the artboard from 120mm ot 480mm square already with only little effect. The most puzzling thing is the thickening of strokes just after drawing them. I hope you can see it in the screen cast and maybe even help me with this. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... after two hours I accidentally stumbled across what might be the solution. The little 'removing brush contour' button at the bottom of the brushes panel, that I had never used before ^^° Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... sorry not solved at all. I can only take off the brush contours after drawing and selecting the strokes, not while I am drawing them >.<. Any advice is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please check the brushes options for the size.

And also the Appearance panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines