• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I select and move guides with selection tools?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CC and I cannot select and move guides with the selection tools. The guides are not locked. I can select the guides in the Layers Panel, but I can only move with the arrow keys. I can also "Release" the guides once they are selected in the Layers Panel, but I still cannot move them with the mouse - only the arrow key.

Summary of Problem:

1. Guides are not locked.
  2. Some guides can only be moved when they are selected in the Layer Panels and when using the arrow keys
  3. Non-selectable Guides can be "Released" but only altered in color and line weight and still only moved with the arrow keys.

Desired Outcome:

I want to be able to move all guides using the mouse for greater accuracy vs the arrow keys.

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

i have the same problem i just make the elements (design)  bigger and the problem fixed (hide artboard and increase the size of  objects.. and also try to move guides without zoom in  closer)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

This is the answer that worked for me! In my layers panel, I couldn't select the guides but going to Alt + Ctrl + ; did my bidding. Guides move freely. I must have inadvertently locked it when I did some weird keyboard combos by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VIEW----> GUIDES -----> UNLOCK GUIDES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem i just make the elements (design)  bigger and the problem fixed (hide artboard and increase the size of  objects.. and also try to move guides without zoom in  closer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Wrong.

Also, ridiculous that this is the designated "Correct answer" because it brings into focus how bloated and nonsensical these programs have become with unchecked monopolization of this market. Adobe can literally ship the exact same problem but with more bugs and issues, and still make millions of dollars from corporations. 

We need more competition. Adobe is going to be the EA of digital graphics sooner than anyone realizes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same problem , I using adobe illustator CC . It simple solution , just move the cursor to the one of guides then right click , select UNLOCK GUIDE. 100% Work. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's correct reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the correct answer, as he clearly stated that his guides are NOT locked! How then should unlocking help??

I understand what ChanningBailey is writing, since I have the same issue. Guides are unlocked, but still cannot move guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply drag your mouse to the Guideline, then right click and select option > unlock guides. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably have guides locked 

VIEW > GUIDES > UNLOCK GUIDES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the mouse on the guide click the right key and unlock guides .you should be right to go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am a bit late in my reply,

I have been having the same problem frequently. My guides were unlocked in the properties panel, but I found if I went to View > Guides it was showing my guides were locked. So View > Guides > Unlock Guides seemed to solve the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues in random intervals, cannot move guides in Illustrator, but guides are not locked (also not in the VIEW menu).

Not sure why many in this thread struggle with comprehending the intitial post, which clearly states that "GUIDES ARE NOT LOCKED". Responding to the post by suggesting the solution "to unlock guides" just leaves me wondering, why people fail to read and understand four simple lines of text. You people only read the headline?

This is a bug. One of many in Illustrator. Also, trying to move small objects in Illustrators is impossible.

"A flaw by design is still a design flaw!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into properties panel and then under the guide section unlock the grid then you will be able yo delete or move the grid lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is easy.... Right click on the guide and select "Unlock Guides".

You probably don't recall locking them in the first place, but you'd be surprised by the things we do accidentally with quick commands we didn't know we initiated by typing too quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines