• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do PDF imports have a clipping mask?

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand why the majority of the time I import very simple polygons and lines in PDF format and they all have clipping masks.

There is no  reason for there to be clipping masks on these PDF files, but it seems that Adobe automatically adds clipping masks for no reason. 

I have to go through the tedious process of looking for every clipping mask and one by one unclip them.

The clipping masks tends to span the entire document size.

There are the steps I have to go through to "process a file"

1) Go through layers panel and unclip all clipping masks one by one.

2) Go to the 4 corners of each document and delete all the nodes on each corner for every shape present.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pdfs with clipping mask were certainly not made in Illustrator with Illustrator editing capabilities checked.

They are converted from PDF to Illustrator file format, and these clipping mask may sometimes be there for a good reason.

Make sure that no fill or stroke is selected in the tools panel and choose Select > Same Fill & Stroke 

Then just delete the selected objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton_Frederiks - That is not correct. I have created PDF files directly from Illustrator (or InDesign) and when I open them back up in Illustrator they will have clipping paths around either the whole document or possibly elements within the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe argument was not "made from Illustrator" but "made from Illustrator with editing capabilities checked". There is a huge difference between these two.

Please see this about Illustrator files: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes clipping masks either way. Or, alternatively, creates extra space around objects that shouldn't be there. As if there were invisible points floating around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us about your issue

Please tell us where the file originates from

Which options were selected when you saved it

Any error warnings when you opened it

What's in the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is 100% creating clipping paths. Save a file with no clipping masks, reopen file...full of clipping paths

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is 100% creating clipping paths. Save a file with no clipping masks, reopen file...full of clipping paths

By @Monica MacGeen

You missed the second part of the sentence "with Illustrator editing capabilities checked"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Its a huge problem when trying to print the required pdf format for the rip software and it generating clipping paths prevents those elements of the design to not print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you re-opening the PDF in Illustrator? You're not supposed to do that.

As long as you're working on it: save an AI file. When you're done: Save a PDF file. Do not open it in Illustrator. Use Acrobat for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that's how clients send me their art for screen printing. Sometimes we don't have a choice. And it's incredibly annoying to have to go through it and eliminate all the clipping paths individually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my workplace, there are times I feel lucky if I get customer provided artwork in the form of a PDF containing vector objects. Far too many people just grab the first thing they find, be it a low res JPEG or PNG image on a web page. "This will work; it's a digital file isn't it?" When I ask for vector artwork they'll often save the same JPEG or PNG image inside an Illustrator AI, EPS or PDF container file. Or they might even give me a PowerPoint PPT file, as if I can do anything useful with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the absolute story of my work life, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had someone send me a PPT with a JPG logo in it just last week LOL. And another sent a Word doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get PowerPoint PPT files most often from military customers. Sometimes they bring us the files burned onto a CD-R (most military facilities will not allow USB memory sticks to be plugged into computers). We try to warn them in advance the PPT files are no good. A JPEG saved inside a PPT file is just another layer of bad added on top of bad. MS Word docs aren't any better.

Lately Canva has become a serious headache (in addition to the other ones). Too many customers are hopping into that app and giving us art files we can't use. Most of the time the files are flattened PNG images. I'll ask the customers to export a PDF or SVG file using the Download options under the Share command. It doesn't take much tech talk to go over their heads. So I end up having to get into Canva and try to re-create some of the elements on my own in "dummy" documents and save PDFs of those. Some of the fonts in Canva are unique to that app. Then there are other fonts where the versions within Canva are different from those available elsewhere. Canva is a walled garden of sorts that does not play well with other more professional design applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep also in mind that Illustrator is not a PDF editor.

That is why you get unexpected results when you do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. it is, and it is required to make .pdf files when printing illustrator files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. it is, and it is required to make .pdf files when printing illustrator files

By @Monica MacGeen

Yeah sure.

But it's not required to delete your AI file after saving a PDF for printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an amazing solution to this issue. Buy the Affinity suite. Affinity Publisher and Designer both open PDFs without any issues. Objects are opened as groups instead of inside clipping masks. It's awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then how do you get the content into Illustrator?

Because clearly you don't want to use Affinity Designer, since it doesn't have a lot of functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't. I do clearly want to use Affinity Designer, Pubisher and Photo. I've completely switched over to Affinity apps. Desginer is SO much better than Illustrator. But, regardless, you can export to EPS if you really want to.

It boggles my mind how third party software can open PDFs better than the apps of the company that actually created the format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as EPS? Really? A PDF can still have transparency, EPS can't.

PDF was never meant for opening. It's a pure presentation format. Its purpose was that any app on any supported system can write a file in a way that a PDF reader can then present that file in the exact same layout that has been intended. Not being able to edit this layout is intended (think legal papers) and thus somewhat part of the format.

That was a huge invention back then.

"Desginer is SO much better than Illustrator."

It doesn't have 90% of the functionality that I'm using daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be getting defensive for some reason. I am making a statement that Affinity apps can open PDF files and let you edit them as if they were actual files. And it works. Unlike InDesign, which can't open PDFs at all. Or Illustrator which breaks up text blocks and puts everything in clipping masks. Whether that is intended or no is irrelevant, because if other apps can do it then Adobe's apps should be able to, as well.

Whether Designer doesn't have the functionality YOU need is also irrelevant. You are the one that TOLD me that I clearly don't want to use Designer. I'm telling you that it has 95% of the functionality I need that Illustrator has. In fact, it is better for illustration work than Illustrator is. The only thing Illustrator can do that Designer can't is making charts. The brush tools are far better than Illustrator. Plus it has pixel editing capability and can export web graphics far better. And, again, opens PDF files flawlessly. I am not debating that PDF wasn't a huge innovation "back then." I am offering a solution to the original poster's issue. Don't use Illustrator, use Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to call BS on a lot of that. I have the latest versions of Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Inkscape and Affinity Designer loaded on my PC and am keenly aware of the differences in how these applications overlap with similar functions and also where they do not. There is great deal of features and effects in Adobe Illustrator that if baked into a Illustrator-generated PDF most rival applications will not be able to import that PDF accurately. That includes Affinity Designer. The latest update (version 1.9) still doesn't even support OpenType Variable fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm calling BS on your BS call. I have Affinity Designer open right now and it has open type built right into the character panel. In fact, it even has this feature on the iPad version! Are you, in fact, arguing that Illustrator can open a PDF better than Affinity Designer? Because I can upload some screenshots showing the differences on how they are opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines