• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does illustrator paste my objects WAAAAAYYYY off the canvas/art board?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I paste into my document it pastes way off view. If I'm zoomed into a page and just copy/paste something, it will paste it somewhere out of view usually, which is annoying in and of istself -- but this one pasted SOOOOO FAR away I thought it wasn't pasting at all. How do I get it to paste in frame so I don't have to go looking for the object i just pasted? (is there some way to control where something pastes other than "paste in place" ?Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 5.04.37 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you didn't accidentally copy some single anchorpoints along the artboard border?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even sure how I would do that. I buildt the object so shere shouldnt be any single anchorpoints, unless I'm understanding that wrong. It (Illustrator)  doesn't usually paste within my screen, I usualyl have to zoom out to go find whatever object I just copied, but this time it was wayyy out of the normal artboard area. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be a rogue point, object or unlocked guideline opposte the element your're pasting.. very likely waaaaay down to the bottom.

How to figure it out.

Paste.

DESELECT the object you just pasted.

Cut.

Paste again... whatever rogue item should now paste somewhere central for you to see it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly that did not work. I pasted it in the document, deslected, cut and pasted again - and I just ended up with two of the items way up top 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn guides on, you may have accidently grouped a guide with the item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was reading past issues others had it sounded like guides could be a problem. I do use guides, but not for what was on that art board, and I didn't use any guides in the document I was pasting FROM. Regardless, to test the theory I reset all my guides and that didn't do anything. I would think Adobe would be able to come up with something that is 'paste in frame' or something... paste in place isn't always right. Since it's coming from another document, with many more art boards etc... sometimes I copy something from one art board and am zoomed in, I want it to appear where I am looking- not back out where it was before... does that even make sense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you paste from one document to another?

And if so, do these documents have the sam size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm pasting from one document to another. It is supposed to be the same size but I had a glitch earlier that day where it wasn't letting me paste an item due to it being too big to fit in the space. So I deleted that and rebuilt it and that one copied/pasted - but it's pasting way off of my artboards, which usually when I paste from this document into the other document, doesn't happen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just suspecting a glitch between the traditional document sizes and the new large sized canvas sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldnt be surprised, I'm rather good at glitches... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing just happened to me, I turned off "Snap to Point" and it resolved the issus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines