• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Illustrator stubbornly uses Apple macOS Symbol.ttf (Regular ver. 13.xxx) font?

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do math ja physics books with Indesign which contains lot of MathType equations and Illustrator graphics which contains greek Symbol font characters. Or should contain.

Problem is that Illustrator CC2020 can't use Suitcase Fusion activated MathType Symbol-symbol (ver.1.0) font which is used by my client's editors. I
llustrator stubbornly uses Apple's OS Symbol-Regular (ver. 13.xxx) font although it shouldn't be activated via OS Fontbook or root removed from System-Library-Font folder or from Library-Font folder.

Indesign can handle two Symbol fonts simultanously (Symbol-Symbol, Symbol-Regular and even Symbol-Medium (type1 version)) but Illustrator can't.

There would not be any problem if only these Symbol fonts were coded similarly but there are slight unicode differences which maker "interSymboloperation" impossible.

Can anybody tell me from where Illustrator takes Apples Symbol-Regular font in use though it shouldn't be activated?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Print and publish , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Document Info can give you the location of a font.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 21.37.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cood point. Thank You Ton!

But is there anyway I could use Symbol-Symbol (ver 1.0) instead of Apple Symbol-Regular (ver. 13.xxx). MacOS don't let me remove that Apple version even if in root user?

Indesign can work with two or three same named Symbol fonts (but a bit different set Symbol-Symbol, Symbol-Regular, Symbol-Medium). Illustrator won't as far been testing.

Has ‎⁨MacintoshOSX⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications ▸ ⁨⁨Adobe Illustrator 2020⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe Illustrator 2020⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Required⁩ ▸ ⁨typesupport⁩ ▸ ⁨unicode⁩ ▸ ⁨mappings⁩ ▸ ⁨adobe⁩ ▸ symbol.txt something do with figures codings?

Or how can I tell Illustrator to use MacintoshOSX⁩ ▸ ⁨⁨Adobe Illustrator 2020⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe Illustrator 2020⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Required⁩ ▸ ⁨PDFL Resource⁩ ▸ ⁨Resource⁩ ▸ ⁨Fonts⁩ ▸ sy______.pfb/sy______.afm/sy______.pfm instead with Apple Symbol which seems to be one symbol that match with my client editor⁨'s math symbol?

Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you could try is to create a folder with the name Fonts in the Illustrator Application folder and put the font in there. That Fonts folder is one of the first places where Illustrator will look for fonts when started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines