• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why include scrollbars--they don't work.

Engaged ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WARNING: if you are just trying to grab credit points for helping answer problems, skip this one and move on. This is a post for discussing scrollbars, not getting you credit for answering questions that Google could answer. 

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the scrollbars in Illustrator? I realize that rather than scroll the dimensions of the artboard like it should, they decided to go with the total available space for all artboards which is 16,280px wide and keeps getting bigger. If you have a 100px document zoomed in to take up the full viewport width, the scrollbars are useless. I have an 8000pt precision optical mouse that I can use to drag the thumb 1px and the artboard is off the screen.

How is this in any way useful? I would like to hear other feedback in case I am just a grumpy old fart who doesn't get it. But it seems to me that useless scrollbars just take up space. If you can't make them scroll proportionally to your document size and zoom level, don't have em. If others agree, I'll submit a feature request or bug report. I wanted to check here first.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

If you want to give feedback to the engineers then I would suggest you do that at http://illustrator.uservoice.com

In here they will never see it, which is probably not what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to point out that this is not the only place that Illustrator has a serious problem with context. The bevel depth slider goes from 0 to 100pts even if your object is only 10px wide. Trying to drag the slider on a 4K monitor is useless. And on a 10px wide object, you will never be able to render a bevel more than 5 pixels without serious problems with intersection. (which it tells you rather than limiting your depth input or slider parameters. Brushes that go from 1px to 1296px wide on a 100px document is completely ridiculous. Don't get me started on all the different ways that brush sizes are entered in modal dialog boxes that obscure your artwork and prevent you from seeing the size of your new brush until you close the window....we'll be here all day. LOL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to give feedback to the engineers then I would suggest you do that at http://illustrator.uservoice.com

In here they will never see it, which is probably not what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the link. Perhaps I was unclear when I suggested that I wanted to get other opinions before I posted. I am completely open to the idea that maybe I am the only person that has a problem with this. If that's the case, I wouldn't want to bother the engineers. Thanks again for your post, if others also have this problem I will be happy to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines