Highlighted

Why is clipping mask in illustrator not working for me?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vector skull and crossbones on top of several images. I want the images to become the skull and crossbones shape so I have them below the vector skull in the layer group and I select the skull and the images and go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make but it makes everything disappear. All i'm left with is the invisible outline of the skull. This is supposed to be sooooo easy and i'm getting incredibly frustrated! I'm using illustrator CS4 if that helps any.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Sara,

What happens if you:

1) Select all/any mutually overlapping bone parts and Pathfinder>Unite,

2) Select all the bone parts and Object>Compound Path>Make,

3) Select everything and Object>Clipping Mask>Make?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why is clipping mask in illustrator not working for me?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vector skull and crossbones on top of several images. I want the images to become the skull and crossbones shape so I have them below the vector skull in the layer group and I select the skull and the images and go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make but it makes everything disappear. All i'm left with is the invisible outline of the skull. This is supposed to be sooooo easy and i'm getting incredibly frustrated! I'm using illustrator CS4 if that helps any.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Jacob Bugge | Most Valuable Participant

Sara,

What happens if you:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2012 4
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sara,

What happens if you:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 17
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Sara.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 0
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem as Sara - but Jacob's solution doesn't work in my case:

My overlapping parts are in different colors, and they all merge into one color if I use Unite.

Is there any other way to make this work?

EDIT: OK, got it now: It is necessary to make a Compound Path for each color group/layer. After that, Clipping Mask works as expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2016 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you (Y)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

esaeo-nyc-pdx_0-1603735479892.png

esaeo-nyc-pdx_1-1603735528607.png

I've tried several times to get these swirls to be clipped.  Been doing the same action for well over a decade, and now it doesn't work.  I cannot have the swirls compounded.  I tried grouping then clipping, and that also did NOT work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.  Stripped the structure for the third time and now, for some reason, it works.  Never had this finikiness (sp) before with clipping.  I could not delete my previous message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Resources