• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is getting a Vector graphic into Photoshop so dam hard?!!

New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First some context:

I have a 2D drawing that I made in illustrator. 

I want to use the Timeline tool in photoshop to animate it.

I would like to retain the vector path information when I bring the graphic into photoshop to make the animation process easier, as I will be able to just change a few key vector points to get the effect I want.

I am absolutely frustrated with how hard it is to bring my graphic between these two adobe products!!!
I really hope I'm just missing something simple. But searching the web and watching several teaching videos has not shown me anyway to do this that does not result in some key feature of being broken or striped form my art.

- Bring it over by copy-paste (Paths)  : I only get the paths information and have to remake the rest of the graphic

-Bring it over by copy-paste (Smart Object) : I cant use the ghost feature of animate cause each time I go to modify the art it kicks me out to Ilustrator

-Bring it over by export/import: The image is converted from a vector to a raster image losing all my vector points.

Seriously !?  I'm beyond baffled why it should be this hard between two adobe products 
I really hope someone can point me in a better direction

#NewCCSubscriberWhoIsBeyondFrustrated
J.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All your paths need to be Compound shapes. You can make them that by selecting from the Pathfinder panel's menu.

Also make sure that your paths only have basic fills and only have strokes with round caps, but not dashes or brushes or the like.

In case you want to have more options, don't use Photoshop, but use Animate or After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

i have tried this approach also. I get the compound shapes in my layers. However, I am unable to edit or move the vector points (which is what I want to do in different frames of the animation)

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 6.44.26 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expanding on what Monika has already said, Photoshop may not be the best option for you. Could you possibly use After Effects which allows you to easily import Illustrator artwork? These imported elements can be converted to native paths within After Effects which allow for individual points to be both moved and animated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PS doesn't allow to animate path points, so this is rather pointless to begin with. As suggested by the others you need to move on to After Effects or Animate.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines