• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Illustrator not Exporting Artboard Size???

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My artboard is set to 8.5 inches x 14 inches (legal).

I then select "Export" and select "Use Artboards".

When I open the file in Photoshop it is: 3957px x 2280px and it should be 4200px x 2550px which is 8.5 x 14 inches. I have no crop marks or anything only artboard size at: 8.5 x 14 inches.

Q. Why is Illustrator not exporting the Artboard at 8.5 x 14 inches (4200px x 2550px) ???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Thank you. I checked the bleed and there was an object that I moved out of the way.

I deleted it and now back to correct page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you turning on Align to pixel Grid?

for Print output, use inches as a measurement system, and use Pixels unit for Digital or screens output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you turning on Align to pixel Grid? No. Using Pixels for export

You might want to tell us which file format you're exporting? .png

And why you open that file in Photoshop? I created objects in Illustrator and export from Illustrator to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. When you want to keep pixel dimensions on export, you will need to export at 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Monika! This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to tell us which file format you're exporting.

And why you open that file in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too find the exported dimensions of JPEG and TIFF differ from the artboard size. I'm working at 300 DPI with an artboard size of 12 inches by 36 inches.

The suggestion to output at 72 DPI is not going to work for me. I'm having a high quality print made. At 72 DPI the quality of the print is lousy.

The dimensions of the print are critical. It MUST be exactly 12 inches by 35 inches.

How do I get the JPEG or TIFF file to be the same dimensions as the artboard?

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which way does the exported file differ?

And how do you check that it differs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exported file is 3625 pixels by 10352 pixels. The correct size should be 3600 by 10800.

The pixel information was provided by the Preview app on my Mac. The printer tells me that the image must be cropped to fit on the 12 by 36 inch paper I've requested.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bleurose  schrieb

The exported file is 3625 pixels by 10352 pixels. The correct size should be 3600 by 10800.

The pixel information was provided by the Preview app on my Mac. The printer tells me that the image must be cropped to fit on the 12 by 36 inch paper I've requested.

Gary

I have just tried to do this and my exported image has exactly the desired pixel dimensions. So you must be doing something wrong. Is the option "Use artboards" checked when you export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Is the option "Use artboards" checked when you export?

No it wasn't. When I checked the box, the dimensions are perfect. Thank you.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking "Use arboards" when exporting solved the odd sized jpg's for me! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in to say that I encountered the same issue. Exporting the artboard in any file format and at any resolution resulted in an image that was slightly beyond the bounds of my artboard. It turns out that my Illustrator document was set up with bleeds, so every artboard included those bleeds when exported. Removing the bleeds corrected the issue. To check your bleeds, go to File // Document Set-up // (set bleeds to 0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I checked the bleed and there was an object that I moved out of the way.

I deleted it and now back to correct page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting, is "use artboards" checkmarked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have a similar issue.

I have a standard artwork at 770px by 858px however when the file is exported it will only export 770px by 828px at both png and jpg.

There are no bleed and nothing in the outside area. I have checked the settings and there is nothing out of the ordinary. The way the file is export is file>export>export for web. I have opened the file on a different mac and the file is exporting as normal.

I also exported via export for screens and this exports as normal.

I have used this file many times before and this is the first time i have encounted the issue.

Is there something i am doing wrong or an obvious reason why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is December 2019 and it is still is an issue. I believe you are talking about the situation where you moved your artboard about for the amount pixels, millimeters, kilometers that is not a full number.  Select your artboard and look at the positioning numbers. If you move your artboard to the amount of not full units, illustrator will start adding extra pixels to your image size 😞 

I want to indicate that this solution is not my finding butt of Blaz Valentinuzzi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, Peter - just figured out this was my issue, too.

I had an artboard that kept exporting one pixel wider than the artboard size. Illustrator showed that the contents were within the bounds and initially I thought it may have been anti-aliasing running over so I tried turning bleed off but that didn't resolve the issue. Eventually I discovered the artboard was positioned at a non-rounded integer value (e.g. 300.57px). After fixing this the artboard exported at the correct size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, but I don't know why as I've been using the same AI file with the same artboards and never had this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still experiencing this issue. (March 2021, Adobe Illustrator 2021 25.1) 

My artboard is set at X: -411px, Y: 2523px and sizing W: 612px and H: 792px. No bleed. 

Tried exporting to JPG in 300dpi, but it made my image jump to 2551px x 3301px. And when I do the export for screens, artboard - the sizing is correct but the resolution is awful.

Am I missing something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to get an image in the dimensions you set up: 612 x 792 pixels, right?

Then you have to export at 72 ppi.

You are exporting a raster image format, so you have to expect pixels in it. Also, you cannot zoom in without getting even bigger pixels. That's the way this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today and my bleed points were on 0.

I solved this with;

Exported it with 'Save for Web (Legacy) + I kept the Keyboard Increments on 0,0001 px.

I really don't know which one solved my problem but it's solved - hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why...FIVE YEARS later...is this still an issue??? HUGE pain to export 100+ icons of varying sizes, within a specified artboard size...only to find that the exported asset dimensions are wonky. I've even tried a transparent square at the desired export size in the same group...no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why...FIVE YEARS later...is this still an issue??? HUGE pain to export 100+ icons of varying sizes, within a specified artboard size...only to find that the exported asset dimensions are wonky. I've even tried a transparent square at the desired export size in the same group...no luck. 

By @Ryan Vickerman

Which export are you using? For icon sets in different sizes, Export for screens is the most efficient one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fast reply! 

Being that I am trying to export tons of icons, the legacy Save to Web function is not an option.

I'm using the Asset Export palette. My artboard is 92x92px...and all my vectors are grouped and have a max dimension of 92px. I tried exporting as 1x PNG, a 92px height PNG, and 92px width PNG...all with varying dimensions...not the 92x92px dimensions that I was expecting. 

I even tried putting a group (icon grid) behind each one of my asset groups and gave it 0% opacity in the Transpareancy palette...expecting that a shape in my desired dimensions (92x92px) would help with the export. Unfortunately, I got the same results.

Export for Screens gave me the same results with all the aforementioned stuff. Seemed to be the same stuff as the Asset Export palette but, with a different UI. 

Photoshop allows you to adjust the canvas size on export (non-legacy)...Illustrator should too right?

I don't know if it makes a difference but, I'm running Mac OS 12.6 with Illustrator 27.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines