• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my pen tool not working right?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to draw a straight line in Illustrator, the pen tool won't just draw. The spot you put the tool down on becomes a middle anchor and when you change to the selection tool after drawing it, selected line disappears and only a tiny box remains where the middle anchor point was. I cannot get it to be an actual line. No matter what color or size I try to make the stroke, nothing happens. If I make the line curved, it works. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Are you using the Curvature tool and not the Pen tool? To get a straight line from the Pen tool simply click the mouse once and release. Move the tool tip to where you want it to end and single click again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

It sounds like you're trying to use the "Pen" tool in the same way that you'd use the "Brush" tool.

When you use the pen tool, you click wherever you want an anchor point to go, then you click where you want the next anchor point to go, and so on. It's not a "click and drag" kind of tool (although, you can manipulate the curve of the line by clicking to put down and anchor point and then dragging before you release the mouse).

The brush tool (or paintbrush) will probably behave more like wha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Curvature tool and not the Pen tool? To get a straight line from the Pen tool simply click the mouse once and release. Move the tool tip to where you want it to end and single click again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! That was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're trying to use the "Pen" tool in the same way that you'd use the "Brush" tool.

When you use the pen tool, you click wherever you want an anchor point to go, then you click where you want the next anchor point to go, and so on. It's not a "click and drag" kind of tool (although, you can manipulate the curve of the line by clicking to put down and anchor point and then dragging before you release the mouse).

The brush tool (or paintbrush) will probably behave more like what you expect.

Or it's completely possible i'm misunderstanding the problem... can you share some screenshots, or even better a screen recording of the action you're trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen is jumping from where I have selected!!

what should I do for that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing same issue from last 5 days.  Did u got the solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I am new to Illustrator and am watching a course on it right now. In the video it looked to me like it was being dragged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries at all. This is how we learn.

Glad you got it figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there ! i have the same issues with the pen tool, would you please share the course you've used to learn how to control it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak to the course that the other person was doing. But there's tons of free content on YouTube. Here's a detailed intro to the pen tool.

https://youtu.be/j69a3-shkGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a more beginning course than the beginning course?  A new curve seems to automatically pop up each time he creates an anchor but I am not getting that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Preferences > Selection & Anchor Display > Enable Rubber Band for ...checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is. 

I think my issue was one needs to immediately click and drag at each anchor point which I wasn't gathering from any video I watched.  6 hours later, better than never.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines