• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the colour conversion different in ai to ps?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Why is it that when you convert from cmyk to rgb in ai, I get one set of rgb values. When I do the same in photoshop it gives me different values.

Colour all synced using ai 24.3 and ps 21.2.0.

Colour settings are Europe General Purpose 3 so always going from FOGRA39 to sRGB.

thanks

TOPICS
Bug , Sync and storage , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as an exact numerical color conversion from RGB to CMYK. It has even changed over the years also in Adobe products and even in PMS swatch books. The issue si much more complex than you are seeing as black point compensation and color profile affect the results you get.

The best is to write down your color conversions in a brand guide and use that, along with defined swatches in both RGB & CMYK color space. You also should make sure your program are synced using Adobe Bridge >> Edit >> Color Settings  on a mac. The menu might be similar in windows.Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 10.35.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

Many thanks for your response. I am aware of colour sync and ensure that ai and ps are using the same. What is frustrating is that if you have colours synced, then I would expect both programs to convers colour consistently, if both using the same profiles. I consulted adobe who said ai and ps do convert colours differently. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.

Thanks

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much different? Can you give examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton

So with the CMYK values of 100,0,0,0, in ai that converts to R 0, G 158, B, 226.

Doing the same process in photoshop gives R 0, G 159, B, 227.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can be some rounding in the calculation of RGB values (going from 0-100% to 0-255), creating a small difference in value.

But your example, converting 100% Cyan results for me in both applications to R 0, G 159, B 227.

Color settings are the same as yours.

But my app versions are more recent: AI: 25.2.2 and Ps: 22.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton

The process I am doing in ai is File > Document Colour Mode > RGB, I get R 0, G 158, B, 226.

The process in PS I am doing is Image > Mode > RGB. R 0, G 159, B, 227.

So I am taking the rgb values after that conversion. I get R 0, G 159, B 227 in ai when in cmyk mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is the result of rounding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines