• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why text exported to a PNG file at 72ppi looks different than at 300ppi

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export AI artboards at both 72ppi and 300ppi.  The AI data is only vector, and contains some text.  When I compare the two exports (on a screen), the text in the 72ppi one seems "bolder" than the 300ppi one.  I understand it may just be that, at the lower density, text isn't going to be as sharp, but the difference is very noticable.

In the past I've kept multiple artboards for each illustration with the differences just being the scale (about 1.5 times).  I'd then export the larger scale artboard at 72ppi and the smaller scale at 300ppi.  It's been awhile since I started the practice and not sure why, but it makes me wonder if there a way, like with scaling the AI data, to have exported images look closer to the same when displayed.

The attachment is a Word page with the 72 and 300ppi PNG files inserted.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

If you are exporting as PNG files then resolution will certainly make a big difference in the appearance of the resulting files. This will especially be true for any enlarging of the files that may be necessary. This is because PNG files are not, in any way, vector files. They are raster and are subject to pixelization that occurs as the files change sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this is a docx, but I won't find out.

Please embed screenshots in your post.

unknow files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are exporting as PNG files then resolution will certainly make a big difference in the appearance of the resulting files. This will especially be true for any enlarging of the files that may be necessary. This is because PNG files are not, in any way, vector files. They are raster and are subject to pixelization that occurs as the files change sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines