• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't the live fill tool work on most of the areas?

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the live paint tool won't fill in areas which are closed. All the lines are in the same layer. The tool will not highlight the areas that i want to fill. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

As Monika is suggesting, you have to make the objects into a Live Paint object before the Live Paint Bucket tool will do anything.

Select all of the objects you want in your Live Paint group and under the Object menu select LivePaint > Make.

Now your Bucket tool (K) should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already a live paint group?

How is the gap detection set up?

Sometimes you need to set up gap detection smaller.

Also: which version is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika is suggesting, you have to make the objects into a Live Paint object before the Live Paint Bucket tool will do anything.

Select all of the objects you want in your Live Paint group and under the Object menu select LivePaint > Make.

Now your Bucket tool (K) should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-- I understand the idea of making an object into a live paint object.  When I double click on the object and go to Live Paint under the object menu, "make" is grayed out.  I assume I am not selecting the object correctly.  This problem with the live paint bucket comes up frequently for me when using a grid with a repeating pattern that I have duplicated and moved into place (to create monochromatic design work)... it generally occurs along one to two sides of the Artboard.  Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the selection tool to select your objects.

Double click gives you Isolation mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO BE CLEAR THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR OVERCOMPLICATING SIMPLE OPERATIONS OR YOUR SOFTWARE BEING SO COUNTERINTUITIVE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Live Paint is one of the easiest parts of Illustrator.

And no, you don't have to first make a live paint group via the menu. You can just select the objects and click the first fill you want to make. If you can't handle live paint, then I would suggest a look into the documentation and not a search on youtube. Not a lot of youtube tutorials tell you about it or how to use it correctly.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So I have a font that I needed to turn into a live paint in order to color in and fill with the live paint bucket, however, I need to essentially connect what I filled in and the font itself like glue them together somehow without vectorizing in order to drag it into FontSelf extension. Any thoughts on this? thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please try and get some structure into what you need to do.

And please post screenshots.

I also don't get what you mean with "vectorizing" - outlining the text?

And since this thread is ancient, please create a new one for yourself. It will be extremely difficult to nevigate your problem, which is now a subthread already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines