• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why you still cannot hide illustrator with cmd+H ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been years since this keyboard shortcut is missing.

I could'nt resist to come here and whine a little about this.

I'm using it a lot on inDesign and Photoshop and when switching between apps.

That's really annoying ! Please add it 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

That sound like a feature request.

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

If your prayer gets answered I hope it is implemented the way Photoshop does it: ask what you want the shortcut to do, Hide Edges or Hide the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

No reason to whine. Simply go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and add it. Change the top popup menu to "Menu Commands" and look for Illustrator CC > Hide Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sound like a feature request.

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

If your prayer gets answered I hope it is implemented the way Photoshop does it: ask what you want the shortcut to do, Hide Edges or Hide the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ton Frederiks wrote:

...I hope it is implemented the way Photoshop does it: ask what you want the shortcut to do, Hide Edges or Hide the application.

Hi

This thread has just gotten resurrected after four years, but to clarify:

in Photoshop Cmd+H (Ctrl+H) will hide either the PS application or Extras (not Edges). It works in conjunction with the Show menu underneath. Cmd+H will hide / show whatever is currently enabled in the Show menu, which may or may not include edges.

CC1D5EDB-26FC-4C4A-9135-BEBF39DD36A3.jpeg

As you said, you get asked the first time.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reason to whine. Simply go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and add it. Change the top popup menu to "Menu Commands" and look for Illustrator CC > Hide Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owww.. My bad, I didnt knew I could make user defined shortcuts… Thanks a lot for this Blyskawica !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JRPrint1  schrieb

doesn't work

WHat exactly doesn't work with which version and which system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS 10.13.4 - Illustrator CC 2018 - If I go to Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts and then go to change the keyboard short cut it will not allow me to type anything its grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't see a problem here. But I have Sierra, not High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem in illustrator 2021. Tried to change Hide Illustrator key command to command-H (for the bazillionth time) and the field is greyed out. Cannot interact with it. I removed the command for Hide Edges first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and thought it was impossible to add Command-H but I have finally succeeded.

The problem appears to be a bug (?!?!).  Here's how I made it work after trial and error.

Select the "Hide Illustrator" command line, which is empty. Try to enter your cursor in the tiny data entry box in the Shortcut column. If you're succesful, you will see a light blue outline around the entry box indicating you may now type the command. For me, it didn't work until I moved to a different line other than "Hide Illustrator" and then came back to the same line. After toggling back and forth a couple of times, I was finally able to enter Command-H by typing Command-H while my cursor was inside the tiny entry box under Shortcut. I had to be very precise in moving my cursor inside the box until the light blue outline finally appeared. Once that happened, I was able to type Command H and save.

This is a maddening process to make Illustrator work the way it should naturally work out of the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, I cannot believe I finally Googled this. Thank you for the awesome, awesome tip! Much love!! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg!!! seriously-thank you thank you thank you for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome tip!! Thank you - been bothering me for years!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My God, I've been using Illustrator for something like 20 years and never knew I could do this. You are my personal hero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had the same issue. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!! I didn't realize I could do that! I SO apreciate it!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Enabling the Command-H is helpful, though what is troubling is clicking the yellow minimize button only temporarily hides the window. With the next click anywhere on my Mac (Big Sur 11.2.3 2020 MBP and Illustrator 25.2.3) the Illustrator window reappears. I am running multiple displays off my laptop, but this is the only program that I've ever experienced doing this, and it's happened for at least the last year. Interestingly, using Command-H interrupts this behavior unlike the minimize button... so thanks for reminding me to re-institute that. There are a rash os seemingly uneccessary inconsistencies between AI, ID and PS that would be nice to see resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines