• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Width Tool disabled/doesn't work - why not?

Contributor ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple shape that doesn't work with the width tool. I have other shapes in my doc that work fine, even ones with gradient fills. What is wrong with this one shape?

Here is the image.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q3dosbmlfnstfcf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

WidthToolFixed.jpgI figured out that if the line's "Brush Definition" is converted to "basic," I could then use the Width Tool no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question, but have you assigned a stroke to the shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's a 1 pt stroke, dark brown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so it seems to be working once I aligned stroke to center instead of to inside. Now that I've used the width tool on it, align stroke to "inside" and "outside" are disabled. I'm guessing that's the problem. I welcome anyone to confirm that theory since I'm not that versed in the newer Illustrators yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Width Tool you can move any part of the stroke to either side of the path at will, so "inside" and "outside" don't mean much. If you need part of a stroke to go farther "inside than the existing path, you can add points and move that part of the path.

You can't apply a stroke to the "inside" or "outside" of an open path, either.

Width.png

I hope this makes sense - my eyelids are drooping.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this solution worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue... and what I found out recently is that I can't seem to adjust the width of a stroke when it's a brush.

For example, if you draw a circle with the pen-tool, you will be able to adjust the width but when you draw a circle with the brush-tool, you can't adjust the width. So it might be interesting to draw shape with the pen-tool from now on.

Maybe this solves your issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jourydellaert  schrieb

I also have the same issue... and what I found out recently is that I can't seem to adjust the width of a stroke when it's a brush.

For example, if you draw a circle with the pen-tool, you will be able to adjust the width but when you draw a circle with the brush-tool, you can't adjust the width. So it might be interesting to draw shape with the pen-tool from now on.

The question has already been solved in #3 (5 years ago)

Your issue is different. By drawing with the brush tool you automatically assigned a calligraphy brush. You can easily remove that stroke. But instead of using the brush tool you could simple use the pencil tool and it wouldn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies Monika, I didn’t look any further into this issue, I thought it was similar...

thanks for the advice btw but when I draw with a tablet, I can’t draw freely with the Pentool right? I’ll have to click and drag to make arcs and lines. Or is there a way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want to draw freely with a simple stroked path, use the pencil, not the pen or brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WidthToolFixed.jpgI figured out that if the line's "Brush Definition" is converted to "basic," I could then use the Width Tool no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask how you brought up that drop down menu w the basic option in it? mine only shows the ”uniform” drop down menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

Can I ask how you brought up that drop down menu w the basic option in it? mine only shows the ”uniform” drop down menu

Please show us a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the menu that reads "Touch calligraphic ..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I highlight an object, it it disappears. am I supposed to convert it w/o highlighting the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

When I highlight an object, it it disappears. am I supposed to convert it w/o highlighting the image?

Please tell us step by step what it is that you want to do. Please use more than just a sentence.

And please show us screenshots of your objects. Please upload them directly to the forum via the web interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to change the ends of unconnected paths to be pointed rather than having rounded caps. What I was trying to do was using the width tool to adjust the ends, but the when selected, the width tool cursor is joined by a "can't do" (small circle with line through) symbol. I can't change the width profile either, and when trying to choose basic brush definition, nothing happens and I still am unable to use the width tool. Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 1.36.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these have been drawn with the brush tool and not with the blob brush tool? That one is important.

Then you can select the paths and set them to "Basic brush" (which actually deletes the brush from the paths). You then need to adjust the stroke width, because you have just a plain stroke now. You might need to select the paths one by one.

Then you can apply a width profile.

Trouble is: When drawing with the brush tool you will always apply a brush. The brush tool won't draw with just a stroke.

And since in your case it's a calligraphy brush, you can't apply a width profile, as Calligraphy brushes don't work with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so would the current drawing be salvageable if I would like to use the width tool, if so could you please explain how to set the paths to basic brush. Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 7.04.46 PM.png

When I select the paths, the only thing that it allows me to change on the top menu is the width profile, and even when pulling up the strokes menu, I'm not sure clicking on the basic option is doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Object > Live Paint > Expand and you will be able to use the Width Tool on the stroked paths.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! LITERALLY NOT EVEN THE PERSON I SPOKE TO FROM ADOBE COULD FIGURE THIS OUT SO I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO START ALL OVER. YOU‘RE A GOD I DONT CARE IF IM BEING DRAMATIC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect answer. The question is "HOWTO ALIGN A VARIABLE WIDTH STROKE".  The basic profile and align are available, but not at the same time as a custom, variable width profile. I have the same kinds of shapes (not grouped, not mere paths) and sometimes the strokes are alignable, other times the variable width box is greyed out if aligned to outside. The align button is greyed out if the vairable width profile is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post screenshots.

That is not an incorrect answer, it only obviously doesn't apply to your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines