Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Width Tool with Stroke Aligned Inside

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community!

I'm trying to do something relatively simple, and can do it in a very jerry-rigged way, but I'm wondering if there's a much easier way to do it.

To explain what I want, see this first image with the two "h"-looking shapes: I want to to adjust the thicknesses of the strokes, but I want all the stroke to be alligned on the INSIDE of my line. GoalGoal

The problem is that I have to use the width tool in the "hidden" or "overlapping" parts of the strokes many times and taper down so that the vertex can stay a point. See the width-tool's many blue anchor points in the image below. 

problemproblem

If I don't have all those on the lines, I end up with this kind of image here where the strokes pop out on the "outside" of the line/shape. 

Example2.png

SO I would think this should be possible just by using the width tool while having "align stroke to inside" selected, but that's not an option.

Does anyone know how to do this more simply without just adding in another polygon? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Illustrator forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold down Alt/Option and drag with the Width tool you can adjust just one side of the line so that the width won't be centered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the geometry is just too complex for a simple solution. You can perhaps see in my example in red how many width points I needed to follow your example. If you need this to be a stroke it'll be tedious and frustrating, but the way you're doing it seems to be the way it has to be done. Far easier to do it as filled paths.

Peter

tromboniator_0-1597984821546.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines