Highlighted

Will Adobe Illustrator work on the new Macbook Pro with the Apple M1 chip?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Looking to purchase the new Apple Macbook Pro with their new M1 chip. I use Adobe Illustrator for my work and I'm conserned about if the software will still run on this new M1 chip and if I will still be able to access all my saved files. Can anyone give any detail?

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Will Adobe Illustrator work on the new Macbook Pro with the Apple M1 chip?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Looking to purchase the new Apple Macbook Pro with their new M1 chip. I use Adobe Illustrator for my work and I'm conserned about if the software will still run on this new M1 chip and if I will still be able to access all my saved files. Can anyone give any detail?

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the mac mini M1, I am able to use illustrator and other adobe products with no issues. That being said, your workflow may be different and results will show. But so far, nothing bad, everything works. Actually, it's running much faster and smoother than on my macbook pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 19, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RAC0917 any luck with adobe xd?  Waiting to buy until i hear its working...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew5CFC , I have tried XD and works fine, I actually just finished building out three pages and a system of UI/UX elements and prototype without any issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
4 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what version of illustrator you're using? I'm wondering if going back a version or two might help mine stop crashing all the damn time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
4 hours ago 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just saw this article. Not sure it will help..

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2882680958/adobe-apps-not-officially-supported-on-apple-silicon-using-....

But you might want to research it! I know PS is planning to support it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Adobe is actively working to build apps that run natively in Apple computers using the Apple Silicon M1 chip. Please find more information about M1 support on this help article.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new MacBook pro M1 today and I'm so frustrated because I use to work with AI, PS and IN all at once but seems to lag and keeps crashing all the time. I even thought it may be the memory but my old MBP 2015 had only 8gb and handled two users with all office suite and Adobe open altogether. I hope they fix it soon or maybe I should return the M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 3
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue right now. I don't even need native support immediately, I just need it to run with any semblance of stability through Rosetta. Every other CC app I've tried runs flawlessly, and I know it's not because I don't have enough RAM. It's borderline unusable not because of how it runs (it runs amazingly when it works), but because it randomly decides to crash. So frustrating. This really needs to be an urgent fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 4
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I've tried running just Illustrator doing a simple vector, but it would give me the dreaded rainbow wheel of death. I'm ready to pull my hair out! Glad it's not just me though. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution a found temporarily for me is by using Affinity Designer. It's incredibly fast, I love the speed. I'll probably go back to Adobe as soon they fix the issue because I don't want to learn a whole new software. Hopefully they fix before I learn it though. Also, they still don't have Acrobat Version for Mac M1. Anyone looking to buy, better wait.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've still got a 12 year old Mac and there's no way I could work faster in Affinity Designer on an M1 than in the old version of Illustrator on my museum hardware, because of the severe lack of basic functionality in Affinity Designer.

So I'm not sure what you're hoping to gain with that switch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, it works, but yes, I miss the library, third-party dimensions plugin and the ability to work faster because I know Illustrator for many years. At least I can use my new MacBook pro with Affinity for the time being. It's actually a pretty robust software with lots of potentials.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is reading this and planning to get a new Mac, I would read Ashutosh's link and wait until next year when wider native support is more likely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought an M1 13" MBP and found Illustrator to be nearly unusable. Photoshop was no picnic either. Lightroom worked fairly well, but had a few hiccups. To be fair, I had plenty of "Application not responding" issues with native Apple apps, too. All said, the combined issues were disruptive enough for me to ship the laptop back to Apple. Hoping it was a lemon. Ordered a new unit, due end of December.

Meanwhile, it's a bummer to realize Adobe's timeline is so incomplete. As one of their engineers said to me a few years ago, "We develop in silos here," expressing his disdain for the lack of communication between Adobe app teams. I'm guessing that hasn't changed. All that money and no means of more effective development, and/or collaboration with Apple. We need competition for Adobe (and Apple).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
Resources