• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will my CEP plugin continue to work on M1 macs?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed a CEP plugin called Randomill for Illustrator, and was wondering if it would continue to work when Adobe updates the creative suite to natively work for M1 macs. Do I have to take any steps as a developer to ensure my plugin will contine working after the update?

TOPICS
Scripting , Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is certain that when native apps are released that they will no longer load plug-ins with the old Intel architecture. You will need to keep a close eye on developments, there does not seem to be any organisation for developers to join to keep informed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobedevs slack channel is where you can hear latest information before it comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I join the Adobe slack?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I should qualify this because the term "plug-in" is no longer used in the strict sense it once was. It is also used to describe other kinds of extensions. If your plug-in is compiled to a kind of dynamic library, then it will need rebuilding. (Apps will not load libraries made for a different architecture). If it is, for example, a JavaScript add-on, then it's a different story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, my plugin is all JavaScript. The only third party library it uses is JSON.jsx. It does have some other frontend stuff like jQuery, but I don't think that should be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess, the old CEP engine running the panels is basically Chromium. They dont have a ARM version for that i guess. Photoshop can still run "old" plugin under Rosetta. I wonder if Illustrator can do the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines