Highlighted

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator supports maximum artboard size of 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm.  In which workflows you would use canvas / artboard size greater than 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm?

Those who create design for billboard and large format printing, would you prefer design in actual size instead of scaled design (1/10 or reduced proportion of actual size)

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator supports maximum artboard size of 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm.  In which workflows you would use canvas / artboard size greater than 227 x 227 inches / 577 x 577 cm?

Those who create design for billboard and large format printing, would you prefer design in actual size instead of scaled design (1/10 or reduced proportion of actual size)

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a scale is the best for me.

What about people who need to print fabrics? Do you have contact with some?

It seems to me that it is a workflow that has special needs.

Best Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working at actual size would be easiest as you do not need to recalculate items but enter the actual amounts. For example at the tradeshow entranceway to the Pennsylvania Convention center, they have an arched bridge that we put a vinyl banner across. To make the die for the banner we need to take one measurements for the width, and atleast 6 for the height(s). We then draw a rectangle and apple an arc, but expand the path and modify to meet the various heights.

Other items such as wooden or metal structures have more detail, so if you do enough of them you eventually will make a calculation or entry or transposition error when you have to scale every dimension.

Even if the max was to increase to 500" that would allow many more projects to be done at actual scale, or at worst 1/2 scale for a large bus graphics.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rama,

I tried to private message you but the system would not let me:

I am please Adobe is asking questions. As a 30-year user I have a question. It is posted here and in multiple other posts and "feature requests". This simple loss if AI functionality means I can no longer work effectively with the pencil tool. Please read it and, if you do not understand my frustration please ask questions. I feel this is a terribly overlooked flaw in the current versions of Illustrator.

Why does Illustrator change what works?

​Thank you,

​Ray Craighead

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ray,

I read your post on issue with pencil tool, I will forward this to right person in the team.

-Rama

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rama. I am ready and willing to talk with someone at Adobe about this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rama,

Currently, am working on wall maps/artwork which are various sizes but include:

- 2700 x 2100 mm

- 2970 x 2128 mm

and

- 86000 x 2700 mm

---

Our work-flow changes depending on the artwork, but goes something like this:

- Export from QGIS / ArcGIS / Other GIS Software

- Import files and re-size to fit area

- Mix hand-drawn / Illustrator / Photoshop to create artwork in multiple layers (20-30) - reduced scale 1:10 say

- Create layers again in Photoshop to 1:1 scale, 300dpi

- Output as flat Large PSD file

We are working on the over 8m one now and developing a style guide to help list all the style features/swatches/line thickness etc, so any mods to Illustrator to work 1:1 scale in Illustrator rather than having to convert would be really, really helpful.

Look forward to hearing from you soon, Rama.

Best wishes,
Caroline

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mainly use CD for large format because of size limitations in Illy and other software.

However, working at a 1:1 scale over 200" really doesn't mean a lot if you cannot get the Acrobat people on-board and lift the 200" PDF viewable (and artificial) limitation. I can produce PDFs that are viewable in Acrobat larger than that (>400" isn't uncommon for me). But it would be better if I didn't have to do what I do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines