Highlighted

Working with 10-bit code values

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if someone can help me. I am new to Illustrator and I am struggling to find the resources I need

I am trying to create colour bars in Illustrator. The colours need to be specific 10-bit hex codes. The colourspace I am working in is Rec. 2020.

So for example, peak white is 3AC (with 3FF being maximum code value in 10-bit). I have tried converting my values to 8-bit, so for example but I keep running into trouble as the whole 10-bit range is not used for encoding luminance information. I need need to be able to export the image in a lossless format such as a TIFF.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where I should even start?

Many thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Working with 10-bit code values

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if someone can help me. I am new to Illustrator and I am struggling to find the resources I need

I am trying to create colour bars in Illustrator. The colours need to be specific 10-bit hex codes. The colourspace I am working in is Rec. 2020.

So for example, peak white is 3AC (with 3FF being maximum code value in 10-bit). I have tried converting my values to 8-bit, so for example but I keep running into trouble as the whole 10-bit range is not used for encoding luminance information. I need need to be able to export the image in a lossless format such as a TIFF.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where I should even start?

Many thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hex codes, as usually described, are six hex digits for RGB colour (in an uncalibrated range). Each pair maps to a number in the range 0 to 255. That's 24 bits, or 8 bits per channel. So what is a 10 bit hex code?  In fact Illustrator doesn't have any truck with any of this, it stores RGB numbers as values between 0.0 and 1.0, following conventional colour science.

TIFF is NOT a lossless expression of a vector design!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well instead of 8 bits per channel I am working with 10 bits per channel. If I were to read the hex value in 10-bit the maxium luminance value is 3FF, whereas in 8-bit RGB it is FF. What I am trying to work out is how to map my 10-bit values to work within Illustrator so that when I output as a lossless raster image (such as TIFF) my values are correct.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesn't work in 8 bit hex or 10 bit hex. As I said, it works in floating point numbers. 
But as I also said, exporting TIFF is not a lossless conversion when dealing with vector.
You have the wrong tool.
Photoshop can work in 16 bit (per channel) and export a 16 bit TIFF. The TIFF standard does not include any support for 10 bits per channel. Reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7068183/writing-10-12-bit-tiff-files-with-libtiff-c

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines