• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with Video Presets (HTV/HDTV 1080) in Illustrator.

Contributor ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10
AI 2020

I am trying to create a 4 x 4 grid to use as a backgrond template in video editing. I thought it be a no brainer, just drop in some lines.  When I open up the Preset HTV/HDTV 1080 the work area is not 1080px by 1920px. What am I not understanding.

I have used AI for many projects in the past. You set the real size and create. This does not seem to work in this case. I usually assume operator error.

Your kind thoughts please. Thaank you.

Cheers! Phil

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

There are 2 artboards on top of each other in the preset. 

You may delete the second one.

Video artboard.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

I was mistaken.

Yes, there is a reason for the large second artboard.

With a single artboard, After Effects clips the content outside the artboard even when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

With the second large artboard, AE will show the contents of layers when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

Another way to solve it is to create a single large artboard that has the size of all the artwork.

AE import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 artboards on top of each other in the preset. 

You may delete the second one.

Video artboard.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You. Why would a preset format load with 2 art boards? 

Thank you all out there for your great help.

Cheers! Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second artboard is needed for importing the file into After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you would need a big second artboard of 14400 px X 14400 px.

It is not needed for importing in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into this a while ago for someone asking the same question. The topic includes a reference that refers to the 14400 px artboard (from Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects, 5th Edition), but I don't know enough about After Effects to know what it's talking about. It may be something that is no longer relevant, but was once upon a time:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/two-artboards-created-when-one-specified/td-p/10251919?pa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These AE users suggest that the document preset is not only incorrect, but significantly problematic to use:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/match-pixel-ration-in-ai-and-ae/td-p/10263388?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you design a scene that you want to scroll through or move the background around in After Effects then the second artboard makes sure that your scene doesn't get clipped at the edges of your first artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an old post so it may not matter.

But the larger artboard is indeed used during the AE import. 

If you import as a composition anything outside the main artboard will be trimmed if you don't have that second in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was mistaken.

Yes, there is a reason for the large second artboard.

With a single artboard, After Effects clips the content outside the artboard even when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

With the second large artboard, AE will show the contents of layers when Retain Layer Sizes is selected.

Another way to solve it is to create a single large artboard that has the size of all the artwork.

AE import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines