Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace Panels Disappearing and/or not opening

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm on Mac OSX Yosemite and Adobe CC 2014. I am having a constant issue with my workspaces disappearing and/or panels not opening. I can fix the problem by deleting preferences, but I'd rather not do that every time I start up. Also, for workflow efficiency, I would REALLY love for my preference to be customized and saved. This problem is preventing me from doing that.

Specifically, when I launch Illustrator, my workspace panels will sometimes have all been removed. There is nothing there. If this happens, I can add my panels manually from the Windows menu. If I do that, I can only use the panels with the panel dock expanded. If I collapse the panels and click on a panel icon, it will not open. Let me know any way I can further help to solve this issue.

Below: Essentials workspace at start up. All panels missing.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 8.45.53 AM.png

Below: After manually opening panel windows. Collapsed view. Notice Strokes panel highlighted, but not open.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 8.45.41 AM.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same irritating problem in InDesign for some months...

(Running the latest version 11.2.0.99 on a Apple Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.3)

Not every time, but very often when I leave InDesign and go to some other program and get back to InDesign the control panel is not visible.

The only way to fix it is to choose some of the other workspace settings – and then choose my own workspace setting again.

I have tried to delete the settings plus created a new workspace setup, it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen just now upon opening InDesign.

Infuriating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe doesn't care about this because nothing has been done to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you guys have been experiencing this problem for some time now. My panels (e.g. Book panel, Paragraph Styles, Character Styles Panels in INDESIGN CC2014 have now just disappeared.

Hope we can get some advice from Adobe about what to do to make them appear again. I have rebooted, restarted InDesign but same problem ... no items appearing inside the panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the answer in Anne Marie Concepcion's article:   http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kreshteena‌, I wonder if that works for Illustrator?

Allow me to vent.

Received e-mail from Adobe saying subscription increasing for 2017.

I probably would't mind so much IF THEY BOTHERED TO FIX THIS ISSUE!

/vent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can but try.

Otherwise, check out the instructions shown in  Missing tools and panels (Illustrator CS2-CS5 on Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue as well.  Have to restart the computer in order for the Panels to appear again.  I wonder if the bug has something to do with the docked panels and documents being Opened as Tabs instead of free floating?  I turned it off in the Preferences so will see if it's an issue going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like there is still no actual fix for this? I am using indesign CC with Yosemite on mac and can see my swatch panel load and then disappear each time I start up the program. "reset workspace" does work (@jmorenajr you might want to try this instead of restarting), but is rather irritating to do this each time I start up. I did try your idea about tabs vs free floating and there is something to it, since when I leave the swatch panel free and clear before I quit it loads up fine the next time I start up. Again, not a fix, but perhaps better than resetting all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...today was the first time I open Illustrator after switching the "Open Documents as Tabs" off and the panels opened fine. Layers, Tools, Pathfinder...everything.  Hard to say with out checking that on a daily.  I'll post again in a few days if this seems to work or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's been a week since I switched the "Open Documents as Tabs" off in the User Interface Preferences and I haven't had this problem since.  Hard to confirm if this is an actual fix but it seems to have worked.  Hope I didn't jinx it haha

Can someone else try this and confirm or deny if this is working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after a few weeks of no problems, this happened again.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting sick of Adobe products crashing and/or not working properly.

Which is what happened when Illustrator suddenly crashed and reopened without any panels except the tool bar.

I've expressed my frustration in a new splash screen, as I just can't take this app seriously anymore.

Illustra-derrr.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. Sorry for the HUGE file size. It appears I can't edit the post and the 'Actions' drop-down has no actions associated with it. Typical of Adobe, I suppose ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing the same thing for me for 2015 CC InDesign! Only fix I found for this was to go into the Windows panel and select a palette I knew should have been opened; then all panels opened back up. It's just frustrating! And I have to do it EVERY single time I open a new document. Come on, Adobe, you should have fixed this glitch by now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a work around for the same problem in indesign, if you just grab an older version of the .xml file and replace the most current version.

How do I import my custom InDesign workspace to a new computer? - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window -- workspace -- clicking on essentials worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this just happen with Muse CC 2015.2.

The panels didn't appear on start-up, applied App Frame (yuk! ) and they appeared, but clicking on them yields no response.

Doesn't look like Muse has a Workspace feature, FWIW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem with flyouts not working in InDesign CC 2015 for the past few days.

A solution for me was just dettaching the panel from the top bar. You can still snap it back into the right hand corner without merging it into the top bar. You'll know it's dettached if it has an 'x' at the top. Flyouts have continued to work for me from this setup.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem intermittently with InDesign CC 2015 for nearly 9 months now. It shows up many days in a row, then ID works fine for a week, or a month, and then it's back again. Re-installed ID, no help. Checked for corrupted fonts, repaired permissions, etc., etc. -- all to no avail. Also, it doesn't seem to be a corrupted preferences file. I've fixed those a couple of times, and the problem still persists.

However (and if Adobe is listening, this might be a clue for you, assuming you ever want to fix this bug!): if I delete my ID caches (~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 11.0), everything works just fine for that session. I can work all day with no problems. It really appears that the caches, when ID closes and writes them to disk, are the source of the problem.

Any thoughts or feedback from anyone else about what you've discovered? What could be the source of the corrupted cache files? (especially since I've literally had a full month without this problem, in the middle of 9 months of otherwise pretty much continuous frustration).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the attempt at help but the sound quality on that is horrible; combine that with his thick accent and I can't understand what's being said, which makes it not very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kate.paullin schrieb:

I appreciate the attempt at help but the sound quality on that is horrible; combine that with his thick accent and I can't understand what's being said, which makes it not very helpful.

It just tells you how to reset the workspace, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2016 Oct 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One  work around to corrupted InDesign workspaces: Next time you have Indesign working stably, save your workspace several times (me1, me2, me3, me4, and so on.) I suggest you save about ten of them. In a few days, when the workspace begins behaving erratically again, you would normally delete your preferences and start over. Just move to the next saved workspace me2. This should keep you going for about a month before you need to delete all 10 workspaces and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines