Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would Like Some Info about Painting Petals in Illustrator

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I have a newbie question about painting in Illustraor.

I have included a screenshot for this question. I want to have the same effect as the flower on the left, for my hand-drawn flower on the right, with respect to the painting of my petals. I want to create the same smooth and realistic style as the flower on the left, but I am not familiar with how to achieve that. Is there a special brush for this or a special technique or effect that I can use for it? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Screenshot (2912).png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Create a left or a petal and use the transformation tool to transform them...Apperance Panel...and the new Repeat menu bar (Object: Repeat)

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 14.17.59.png

Create a brush from the flower or a symbol!!!

Spark with brushes illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to draw each petal separately, use gradients and various techniques to make a photorealistic flower in Illustrator. Are you new to the program? This is not something that is easily done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ... thanks for responding.

I have a little bit of experience with some colorization techniques. I know how to use gradients, gradient meshes, regular fills, Gaussian Blurs, and using some paint brush techniques like watercolor (which I use to "draw inside" my shapes). But I find it hard to achieve the result I am hoping for.

I have drawn each petal separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what did you already try to achieve your goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the various brushes that I have available, but none of them are giving me the result that I need, which is basically to have a softer look, emulating what is on the petal of the jpg. I also colored my petal a lighter pink, and then tried to overlay a different kind of brush stroke over the top. I also tried to change the opacity of that new brush stroke. I also tried to use the Gaussian Blur, but that did not turn out either. When I added the new brush stroke, I selected "draw inside". 

I used acrylic and oil paint brushes as well. Didn't like the result. Maybe I am using the wrong brush. Maybe I can create a new brush that has this effect for the petal.

Or maybe there is an "Effect" that I can use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator can't expect to be able to use classic painting techniques. You are rather stacking shapes and applying color to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. But I have seen a few different examples out there of vector art with different colorizing techniques used. I have a Pro subscription with Vecteezy, and I see vectors that look like they had been "painted". Of course, Illustrator uses strokes for brushes, as well as fills and shapes. But having the painted look is still possible.

Right now, I am using a watercolor brush that I got from Vecteezy. I am creating a brush stroke (thick enough to be larger than the petal) with the color that I want, and I drew it out on the artboard. Then I took that brush stroke and rotated it, fit it over the top to see if I like the placement on the petal, then I cut the brush stroke and pasted it inside of the petal via the "drawinng inside" technique. Then I expanded it all. It seems to be looking quite good to me so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't have to be looking like a photo, just colored nicely as a painted version of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Load the flower symbols into the symbol palette.

Use two or three similar symbols and check their structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for responding. How is this accomplished? I am a bit of a newbie and I have never heard of this before.

I will also Google search this technique as well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this helps a little:

symbols-flowers_01.png

symbols-flowers_02.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a left or a petal and use the transformation tool to transform them...Apperance Panel...and the new Repeat menu bar (Object: Repeat)

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 14.17.59.png

Create a brush from the flower or a symbol!!!

Spark with brushes illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the resource!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines