• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XML variables do not update AI artwork

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have been working through the tutorial in this link https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html

I have a simple AI file with 2 text objects and a circle.

simple layoutsimple layout

I declare my variables and bind them to the artboard objects

variables declared and boundvariables declared and bound

I export the variables to an XML file

export xmlexport xml

I open the XML file in Text Wrangler to edit. I duplicate the data set and give them unique names, and edit the values of the variables.

edit xmledit xml

I import the variable set, Illustrator asks me to replace the current set and it does so. I know the XML was imported as when I check the Data Set list, both edited data sets are there. What is not updating though is the values of the NAME and ADDRESS properties.

import xml variablesimport xml variables

Any idea why this is not working?

Thanks

Adam

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Hi,

I suppose error is in your xml. The name of your variables are name, address (see varName attribute in your xml) and in your data sets you have used Variable1 and Variable2, which is wrong. So your xml, should be like

<name>
   <p>John Smith</p>
</name>

instead of

<Variable1>
   <p>John Smith</p>
</Variable2>

Similarly for the address. award variable seems right to me. So, please update your xml and try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suppose error is in your xml. The name of your variables are name, address (see varName attribute in your xml) and in your data sets you have used Variable1 and Variable2, which is wrong. So your xml, should be like

<name>
   <p>John Smith</p>
</name>

instead of

<Variable1>
   <p>John Smith</p>
</Variable2>

Similarly for the address. award variable seems right to me. So, please update your xml and try.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh it was so simple. A stupid error on my part.

I'm just now able to get back into this exersice. Thanks for pointing that out. Between changing the variable names in Illustrator and changing the data in TextWrangler I messed up the XML. Good to know.

Remember to set up the var names in Illustrator FIRST before exporting the XML, and don't change them after.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines