• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and Paste Text Frames Duplicates Content

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My designer is working on a magazine for us and was specifically adding photo credits into their own individual text frames. He created the caption for one image and added it to the inCopy assignment (the icml file and name of the content under the Assignment is #139). He then copied that frame and pasted it next to another image, just changing the text inside. 

The problem is, when that new text frame was pasted and then added to the assignment, it had the exact same name as the content that was copied—139 (photo attached). And an additional icml file wasn't created. For some reason, they're both tied to the same icml file, which means when I fixed a typo in one of those captions, the other caption immediately became the same exact thing. 

Is this a bug or is this by design? Should he not be coping and pasting text boxes like that?

The fix, as far as I found, was to choose one of those two text boxes, Unlink Content, then re-add it to the assignment. When I did that, it does change the file name to something different, so this doesn't happen. Is there a better way to do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is as designed. 

If you need the same content in multiple places, you can change it once and it changes all over. Best to create the content first and then export it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! By export it you mean add it to the assignment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Frankly, I am not a fan of using assignments. It just adds an unnecessary level of complexity. My recommended workflow for small groups such as yours is to simply export content for InCopy and have the InCopy users open the INDD file directly from InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines