• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InCopy content not showing up as an Assignment in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We publish a newsletter that is created in InDesign with links to articles created in InCopy. Suddenly, not all of the articles show up in the Assignments panel, although all have the globe/arrow link and all show up in the Links panel.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Hello All,

The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of the Creative Cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am supplied with ICML files and i place them into my InCopy layout. The ICML files do not show up in my Assignments panel at all. They do not show up under the unassigned incopy content. They do, however, show up in my Links panel. I then unlink the ICML file from the Links panel and then drag the text frame over to the assignments panel and re-save it in the same location as the original file. This then adds the ICML file to the Assignments panel. All of the content in the screencapture above was manually placed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven’t used that workflow in quite some time, but IIRC, when I did, those ICML files did show up in the assignments panel. I just tried it with a few test files and can confirm it’s not working that way right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the person who wrote the initial post in this thread and I can corroborate that the experiences that jessicac and michm describe sounds very much like my own. Suddenly (and likely after an update), i noticed that not all the InCopy articles placed in an InDesign document were showing up in the Assignment panel. Most, in fact, do not. They show up in the links panel, and the globe/arrow icon appears in the text box on the InDesign page, but they rarely and unreliably show up in the Assignments panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 11.55.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 12.00.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suspect it is a bug. After my initial post, I had got Adobe tech support involved and they were stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bug. I reported it here. You may want to add your $0.02.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/34016665-placed-icml-files-do-not-appear-in-the-assignments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

Bob just alerted me about this bug - I'll be sending an email out to the product team to see what's being done about this.

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beginning to sound like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only having this problem in InDesign. All of the files that I am placing in my layout are .icml files. I am not having issues opening the files in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

A bug has been reported internally and the product development team is working on it. I'll update the thread once I get more details about this.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this issue? We've just updated InCopy and InDesign to the latest versions and are new participants in this discussion. Some of our very old InCopy docs do show up in the Assignments palette (even when they've been recently edited and saved as new), but none of  our current InCopy docs show up. All docs show in the Links palette.

Let's get this fixed, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only update we have is that Adobe is aware of it. When it will be fixed is anyone’s guess.

I posted a link to the bug report. Did you up vote it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has now been a problem for three months and has still not been resolved outside of pre-release versions of InDesign. I cannot and will not implement pre-release software in a fast-paced production environment as that would be just asking for trouble. I notice that your Dev team have no issue supplying new plug-ins to provide support for beta releases of macOS. Perhaps they should be fixing the previous version before starting to work on the next? i just had to roll back to 13.0 again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of the Creative Cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this fix only applies to new InCopy documents. Any InCopy document from IC 13 still does not show up in the Assignments panel unless you do a workaround. Cutting and pasting in place is the fastest workaround to add it to the Assignments panel, but anything old or if a writer does a save-as will not show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the most current versions of InDesign and InCopy and am still having this issue.  It creates the assignments but they don't show up in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear. You are placing ICML files created in InCopy 2020 into your InDesign layout in InDesign 2020 and they aren't showing up in the assignments panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign file.  I go to Edit > InCopy > Export all Graphics and Stories.  It creates the ICML files in a folder but then don't show up in InCopy or InDesign after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with this discussion. Did you save the InDesign file first? Did you open the InDesign file in InCopy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has everything to do with this conversation.  The title is "InCopy content not showing up as an Assignment in InDesign"

I created the assingments in the way described above and they are not displaying in InDesign or InCopy but the assignments have been created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved it first and opened it in InCopy.  Nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I explained what the substance of this discussion is and your issue has nothing to do with it. Now let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Sounds like you're only creating an assignment. That, for the most part, is unnecessary. Just export the InCopy content. It would appear that you've skipped that step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines