• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incopy Workflow Process

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a team of 1 designer and several editors and are begining to use InCopy to improve workflow and efficiency. We want to make sure we have a sound workflow process. Previously, we woud save different versions of the INDD file, just in case there was a corrupt file, or if we needed to go back to a previous version of the file (the old school of thought: Save often and save multiple versions).

I can still do that with the INDD file, but do you also do that with the folder of icml files in case our editors want to go back to a previous version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should never make multiple versions of the InDesign file if you're using InCopy. That will break that workflow. Make sure you're using a good server with lots of backup. I recommend Dropbox or Onedrive if you're working remotely as both offer version controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, InDesign and InCopy both offer a track changes feature. If you need to go back, I suggest turning them on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question. I am adding InCopy to my magazine design workflow for the first time. As the designer, in the past I would occasionally create new versions of my InDesign file, to avoid file corruption. I would just hit SAVE AS and increase the alphabetical designation: "Features (a), Features (b), and so on. Can I still do that with an InCopy workflow piggybacking on my InDesign file? I keep the InDesign file on my hard-drive, but the InCopy files are on Dropbox for the editor to access. I'm not looking to track changes. Just save new versions of the InDesign file once and a while. Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your proposed workflow is doomed to failure. The entire package, InDesign and InCopy files must be accessible. The ICML files should never be opened for editing. The InCopy user can open the InDesign file in InCopy, check out the stories, edit, and check back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines