Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open InCopy, my toolbars look like this:

robm77116199_0-1588842227172.png

No matter what I do, I cannot fix this:

1. Issue presents in 2018, 19 and 20 on Windows 10;
  2. Resetting the workspace has no effect;
  3. Toggling different workspaces has no effect;
  4. Dragging toolbars works for some toolbars in single session but when I reopen InCopy, it's back to this;
  5. Trashing prefs works for the first open, but subsequent opens return to this;
  6. Uninstalling has no effect, it opens like this;
  7. Creating a new workspace and checking panel locations has no effect on restart;
  8. Snapping the window to top or side in Windows 10 has no effect;
  9. Adding and removing different size and resolution monitors has no impact;

It really looks like the padding in each bar is set to something ridiculous. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Gratefully received!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you've covered every troubleshooting step I can think of. What are the system specs for that machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for coming back so quickly!

Well I actually have this on a few machines. A T480 ThinkPad, a 2018 Macbook Pro, and a Dell Inspion 7000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have and it's all the same. Sorry I should have taken a screenshot with the file open!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the paragraph panel and then drag it to the top and see if you can dock it there. You should be able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

So with a file open:

Yes I can do that but it's still weird:

robm77116199_0-1588849969463.png

and then when I reopen the programme, it gets this crazy view:

robm77116199_1-1588850039395.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really weird and you have this on multiple machines? Do you have full admin privileges on them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do on the ThinkPad and dell.

It's weird because my client reported it and I thought.... surely not! But now it's happening to me too! But if other users aren't reporting it then I'm even more confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen anyone report this. It's odd. Is there anything that all of these machines have in common? Two monitors? Small monitors? HiDPI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as far as I can tell. I've connected my big 4k screen, my normal 1080p screen, just used the laptop screens....

If no-one else is reporting perhaps something else is going on. Maybe a plugin is interfering all of a sudden. Or a synced setting perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea. It has to be something unique to the way you're working though if you're seeing on multiple machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I check if my settings are synced across multiple machines? This (below) is deprecated?

robm77116199_0-1588857942418.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking more along the lines of antivirus software, browser plugins, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah interesting. I will try rolling thing back and see what I come up with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a very similar issue on two Windows-machines yesterday. It's at a corporate system, so all users have managed computers and should have the same configuration. Oddly, 8 of the ten were working fine, but two had misalignment in two of the panels. Followed the same troubleshooting. On resetting preferences everything was fine on first launch, on the second it was back to this issue where these two toolbars were wrongly left padded. This is Windows 10 as well, with InCopy 14.02sample2.pngsample1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paffen,

Sorry you are having the same issue but glad to hear it's not just me and my users! I have a similar issue in terms of it not being spread evenly between users as well.

Can I ask if you're using any plugins? Maybe we have a shared setting or something that we can work out together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No plugins used. Just a straight installation and it shows up like that from second run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How strange... @BobLevine - any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I wish I did. Do you have any third party anti virus software running? How about browser extensions?

I know it sounds strange but it's been known to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, these are managed computers with limited ability for end users to actually do anything and should in principle be identical in their setup. The strange part is that 8 of 10 of these work correctly, while the other two have misalignment in these panels. I guess there's some library somewhere which may be of a different version on these computers, but it's very hard to troubleshoot system issues like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am in a similar situation.

No broswer plugins but I do run Webroot Security. The other affected machines do not though!

Is there some kind of setting file that controls the layout of toolbars? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panel problems are typically caused by corrupt preferences and if that keeps happening it points to a system issue somewhere.

Try creating a new user account on the computers in question to eliminate a bad user profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Bob, do you mean a new Microsoft/Windows login account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines