• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assignments checked out from two PCs simultaneously

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my CC to 2019, but the designer hasn't. She's still using 2018.

I had checked out some assignments from a indd file in the intra server and checked all in when I was done.
Before notifying my designer she came and asked, "how were you able to work o the assignments when I was working on them?"
She was working on the same indd file, from InDesign, with all assignments checked out.
And yet, when I checked all in, she got "update" signs next to the assignments. And weirdly, when she updated them all, they updated fine with out any crash.
Funnily, assignments in her InDesign were still checked out, and my InCopy showed the same files' assignments were still available for check out.

So, I'm guessing it's some sort of a bug.
Anyone else had that experience?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Yes…update InDesign or go back to InCopy CC2018.

Both users must be on the same version or this kind of thing is going to happen. This is a workflow problem, not an InDesign or InCopy problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way you saved a file in CC2019 and she was able to open it in CC2018 without running it through a conversion. This would effectively create a new file.

This is no way to work. You both need to be on the same version and where does InCopy in here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. If I open the INDD file with InDesign, InDesign automatically converts the file and forced me to save as a new file.

BUT! I'm opening INDD file with InCopy, and no conversion occurs (since it's not necessary to read+edit assignments I guess).

So, I(editor) am using InCopy, and my designer uses InDesign to work on layout and what not.

All my CC softwares are all up to date, but I was clearly told that the designer hasn't updated hers yet since from experience we know that it may cause unknown, unsolvable crash when using new version of CC, supposedly good and better with new feature, but not verified in stability.

Anyway, my point is, InCopy is up to date, InDesign isn't.

Both updated InCopy and 2018 Indesign checked out same assignments(.icml) and was able to check in when done.

But whoever didn't check in first would lose all her work when the other one checked in first.

So... any help??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes…update InDesign or go back to InCopy CC2018.

Both users must be on the same version or this kind of thing is going to happen. This is a workflow problem, not an InDesign or InCopy problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah... Then I guess it's me who should downgrade to 2018.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that’s the change under your control…yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines