Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't begin typing after checking a story out

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

At work, we have just moved on to InCopy 2014 and there is one particular bug that is breaking my, and other subs', will to live.

When we try to open a story from design, the message 'you must check out the contents of this frame in order to make changes' appears, which is fine and completely expected.

However, when you check it out, you can delete, tab, return, squeeze, etc. but you cannot actually write in the text box until you physically click the mouse on the box again.

Apart from checking a box out by using the 'file' tab with the mouse, is there a way to make this work as it used to with the previous InCopy we were using (InCopy CS5.5)?

Thanks

Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

I am not seeing that behavior here.

Try trashing your preferences to see if that clears things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "when we try to open a story from design" do you mean "when we try to edit a story in the layout"?

Anyway I don't know if it helps, but in CC 2017 it works as expected. You click an insertion point in a story, start typing, you get the "you must check out the story" alert, you press Return/Enter to choose the "yes check it out for me" button, and then you can start typing. The story is active and your cursor location in the story is remembered.

I don't have CC 2014 here to test, but I do have a vague memory of them changing that behavior at some point, and indeed requiring another click.

You're using InCopy CC 2014 because the designers are using InDesign CC 2014? Any reason folks haven't moved on to CC 2017?

AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AnneMarie,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, when myself or another sub editor tries to open a story that has been assigned from the design team, it does mean to edit it in layout view.

The version we used (CS5.5) before did allow us to click in the story, press return and start typing immediately. And yes 2014 does require a second click, which is so annoying because quite often I've started typing and when I see no words have been written, I've lost my train of thought.

We have only just moved on to 2014 and the company sees that as a way of ensuring we are up to date with the more respected other half of the business that received the 'update' a couple of years ago.

I expect them to be moved on to 2017 in a couple of years again and we will catch up in maybe three or four years!

The answer is the company is far too tight to give us something up to date!

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way you can start typing in a story without checking that story out. You are either remembering something that never happened, had some type of third party application managing things or you checked out the entire assignment list first.

As for moving to 2017, you already have it. Creative Cloud is a subscription so you get all updates along the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Thanks for replying.

Yes you have to check out each story but that's not the problem.

After checking out a story, I am able to delete, add returns, tab, etc. but unable to add any text or numbers until I click on the box again.

If we have 2017, I would think we are not using it because IT want everyone to be working on the same platform company-wide.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not seeing that behavior here.

Try trashing your preferences to see if that clears things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines