• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't check out frame: You are currently editing 'filename' in another frame.

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm working on a prospectus with my team and using InCopy with them for the first time. One of the copy editors has encountered this issue where she can't check out a frame and message says You are currently editing 'filename' in another frame. Screenshot below of the message. 
The text frame is a threaded frame to another on the following page as its a continuous table but she gets the same message on the frame too. 
She's working form the ICMA assignment file I emailed to her. I'm aware this isn't the best workflow, the project team didn't want to use dropbox due to a whole host of IT issues we are having at the moment. She using InCopy Version 16.0.1.

Does anyone know whats going on because I can't work it out for the life of me? And she can't package the file for InDesign to send back to me until it's checked in. 

Thanks so much for any help in advance! 

locked.jpg

TOPICS
Check in check out

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry its an ICAP, not ICMA! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the best workflow is an understatement. You don't say what IT issues you're having but get them fixed and stop using that workflow. It's nothing but trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this reply is way too late for OP, so this is for anyone else who might experience the same issue.

This is caused by a hidden lock-file. If this file for some reason isnt deleted as it should, you wil get the "You are currently editing 'filename' in another frame" and still be unable to check the file in.

So simply show hidden files in the folder with the "offending" ICML and delete the lock-file.

This should fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flippy,
I am experiencing this problem. InDesign crashed, lost a ton of work, and am unable to check in assignments. I can't determine how to show hidden files. I've attached a screengrab of some of the offending assignments. Can't figure this out. Can you advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you mouse over the crossed out pencil icon check what it lists for the file location and make sure it is actually pointing to the file you are currently using.

I just ran into this issue where I had changed the parent folder name not knowing I hadn't checked in all the text and so when I went back in to edit the file it kept saying it was check out by me in another frame. Eventualy I figured out that it was pointing to the old folder name and when I changed the parent folder back to the original name I had access again and could edit and check in the text again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, Flippy! It worked just as you described.

For anyone using macOS, use Finder to browse to the folder where the problem .icml file(s) is located and do a Cmd-Shift and the . key -- this should reveal the hidden lock file(s) that needs to be deleted. The file extension of the offending file will be .idlk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!! You just helped me solve a problem i've spent hours trying to resolve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For new users - The above answer solves all your 'cannot check out.." related issues. Especially if you're using dropbox mac users Cmd+Shift+. will show your hidden files in Finder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you got this problem , you see the box : You ate currently editing "file name" in another frame.

and you see the seconde box have the "link" with the yellow triangle (see below) . 

Screenshot (60).png

You double click to the triangle, they show the next box:

Screenshot (61).png

You click to : "unlink" (blue row), the yellow triangle close.

and you will type the word!

Thank!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines